CofL Night Time Rally

Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

As a lot of the rallyistas etc on here are from the south east I thought this might be of interest.

I have been told of a night time treasure hunt rally that runs in the City of London over the weekend of the 21st/22nd May (from memory). It starts at midnight and ends at 5am to avoid other heavy traffic. Anyone is welcome to enter in teams of up to 6 in any four wheeled vehicle. I was thinking of entering in the MX5.
It could be a great way to explore the city.

I'll put more details up when I have them, but from memory the entry fee is in the region of £20, which includes the correct 1:10,000 map and romer.

If anyone is interested I'll post more details.

Richard, we'll see how things go - Joe is keen too, having lived in Woolwich for a year, however his fiance needs major spinal surgery which could happen any time in the next 6 months, so until they have a date he's not signing up for any more events with me. Alex is umming and arring at the moment, but if she decides not to I'll let you know.

I agree Mike - on Saturday night I drove from Sunbury to Ealing (so not QUITE in the city) and without all the cars it was quite a nice drive passed Kew etc.

I can't attach the regs, so if anyone wants them I'll email them I guess??

Richard, if you want to do this event, it might be worth seeing if one of your other co-drivers can do it with you. I asked AJ at the weekend and she's quite keen to do it if she's free. We'll probably be in the MX5, but it'd be cool to see a few Triumphs bombing about the capital.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, we did the CofL rally - and I have to say it's probably not one I'll be repeating.

Too many roads closed, one way roads, bus lanes, people driving like total plums, etc etc etc. The rally itself could have been great fun. The easy questions were easy, Medium ones took some time, and the hard ones were impossible - they made my 'hard' questions on my rally look easy!!

Some interesting cars around on the event - usual modern hatchbacks etc, but there was also a Golf Mk2 GTi (Can't remember the last time I saw one, and it have a Coventry 'VC' numberplate too), An MG Midget, Stag, Dolly Sprint, Bristol 410, Jorgan Mugen-Honda, Series 3 Landy and a 1920's fire engine!! Teams were mostly between 4 and 6 people; There were some teams with just two in, and I think the Stag was the only team of 3.

Overall, it was a fun event, but not a 'motoring' event. We found it easier in the end to just park the car up and go on foot. Could be good with a bunch of mates in a daft car... But I don't think we'll try it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the results come through from the event this weekend - we came 35th out of 58 teams, so we didn't do too badly for our first go, and the 5th team of two out of 10. If scoreing can seem relevant we got 21 points out of 60, with the winning team getting 57, so we have a long, long way to go.

Yet to be convinced we'll give it another go though...