Valencia mk11 2000 saloon XOT309J

desmk11

Hi there, I have just purchased a new toy, a 2000 saloon which was advertised in classic car weekly a couple of weeks back.

Being local to me it seemed like a good idea to go and see it not realising I would fall completely in love again, hopelessly in fact. 

Anyway although a nice car and at strong money it has come to me with absolutely no history, i would really like to put something together over a period of time, so if anyone out there knows anything or anybody that may be able to fill in some gaps that truly would be lovely.

So far we have found an old advert where it was for sale for £1510 in need of light restoration.

This may have been many years ago.

A friend has put a couple of pictures on Facebook for me and we have found out that it was owned by someone in the Register for a couple of years, 2005 to 2007.

When the restoration took place we do not know and as for the mileage of 37000 being correct, this may never be verified.

The car itself would suggest that of low mileage but one never knows for sure what exactly may have been done in only 51 years of ownership.

Hello thescrapman, thank you for your response.

We think it was put into the auction at Duxford but could not find out whether or how much it sold for. It had a guide of £8000 to £10000.

We purchased it direct from a dealer, it was one of the cars driven in the for sale section of classic car weekly just a couple of weeks ago.

Here it is as it was advertised for auction before the bumpers were rechromed and put back on.

Screenshot_2021-06-13-08-39-48.png

• Like 1

Hi Ben, it's good to have a big saloon again, I have a new found enthusiasm and a big smile.

The list of jobs is growing already ☺

There is a chance the restoration work may have been done by someone in the Southampton, Lymington area but that depends whether it was sold before or after.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you frenchiemk11, which flavour do you have?

Valencia is my favourite Triumph colour and I think it really suits the big saloon. It goes very well with the tan interior too. 

I'm trying to get some history on this car but with not much luck so far. It was for sale on Facebook for £1510 before it was restored/resprayed etc all I have so far is what Google images I could find.

What a beauty, frenchiemk2.

Love the Pi, fantastic colour too.

Great cars, couple of friends have Pi's and boy do they go well.

Hard to tell from the picture but I'm thinking emerald, or maybe brooklands, whatever colour, it really looks the part you must be proud to own it 🙂 

I'm happy to have the bumpers back on mine, they look intirely different without. 

20210523_120204.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

I reckon it's Brooklands but the code should be stamped on an aluminium plate under the bonnet - top of the left hand suspension turret.

6 hours ago, desmk11 said:

What a beauty, frenchiemk2.

Love the Pi, fantastic colour too.

Great cars, couple of friends have Pi's and boy do they go well.

Hard to tell from the picture but I'm thinking emerald, or maybe brooklands, whatever colour, it really looks the part you must be proud to own it 🙂 

I'm happy to have the bumpers back on mine, they look intirely different without. 

20210523_120204.jpg

Nice without, or with bumpers ! 15" alloys?

They are 15's yes frenchiemk2, would originally have been 13's but it rides and handles well.

Love the original look of yours with the proper Pi wheel trims, it sits nicely on them.

Pre face lift too, so no bumper rubbers or headrests, a very nice early mk11 saloon and as you say extremely rare over there. 

I'm Jealous for sure ☺

• Like 1

11 hours ago, desmk11 said:

They are 15's yes frenchiemk2, would originally have been 13's but it rides and handles well.

Love the original look of yours with the proper Pi wheel trims, it sits nicely on them.

Pre face lift too, so no bumper rubbers or headrests, a very nice early mk11 saloon and as you say extremely rare over there. 

I'm Jealous for sure ☺

I will check when i get her home soon, but i think she has very old tyre models from Michelin. For sure i'll keep the wheels but may need a set of TR6 or 15" with modern and safer tyres.

Are your front clear turn signal home made? They look amazing! I don't like much amber ones except on white paint.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had XOT for a few weeks now and as with all our previous Triumphs we have decided to do some preventative maintenance.

We like to get to know them for a while and then make a general list of jobs to do to improve reliability and driveability, is that a word?

So we have started at the back, the diff was leaking, the breather was blocked solid, so we have painted it and put a couple of new gaskets on, painted the floor above and fitted datsun driveshafts. One of the original driveshafts had to be cut off as it completely refused to part company, bit extreme never had to do that before. Serviced the rear brakes at the same time.

Then we started at the front, cylinder head gasket was weaping, so a new one will go on, new front crankshaft oil seal fitted, timing case and front plate painted and refitted, new alloy rocker cover and gasket and engine cleaned and painted with black engine enamel. Radiator and water pump housing cleaned and painted ready for install and then it will be on to rear crankshaft oil seal and gearbox front cover and A type rear oil seal. Plus anything else we find along the way. 

mikeyb do you know anything about XOT, it would be great to hear from you, any information at all would be great. We know it was on ebay and then for sale on the 2000 2500 fan group facebook page, nothing more really.

20210611_205921.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-190306_Gallery.jpg

Edited by desmk11
  • Like 1

Piston tops cleaned, lots of carbon, all cam followers now done also.

Just got to clean up the head and fit new gasket then reassemble and set up. Carbs were really quite rich but were running k & n style filters, I may put back to original air cleaner box and twin pipes. The carbs are early type with bottom adjustment, some people prefer these.

Things are coming on slowly but hopefully sometime soon we shall be able to enjoy her again and with a little more confidence too 😃

Screenshot_20210704-185846_Gallery.jpg

9 minutes ago, desmk11 said:

Piston tops cleaned, lots of carbon, all cam followers now done also.

Just got to clean up the head and fit new gasket then reassemble and set up. Carbs were really quite rich but were running k & n style filters, I may put back to original air cleaner box and twin pipes. The carbs are early type with bottom adjustment, some people prefer these.

Things are coming on slowly but hopefully sometime soon we shall be able to enjoy her again and with a little more confidence too 😃

Screenshot_20210704-185846_Gallery.jpg

Very clean! Great job.

Yours compared to mine... omg 1 millon differences... 😅

Edited by frenchiemk2
  • Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 18:54, desmk11 said:

mikeyb do you know anything about XOT, it would be great to hear from you, any information at all would be great. We know it was on ebay and then for sale on the 2000 2500 fan group facebook page, nothing more really.

Sorry in short, no.  I saw it on FB, thought at first it belonged to Scrapman who han one almost identical!  

The number plate rang a bell with me, but I have not been able to place it.

Edited by mikeyb
  • Like 1

thescrapman that is a Beautiful saloon, almost a mirror image ☺ 

I thought mine was an early one but WoW a H plate, it looks Amazing, a huge credit to you.

Is yours manual or automatic?

What a fantastic stable mate for the TR.

It looks like another one is lurking in the back there also 😃 it is addictive 

This is my other soft spot, another early car, manual overdrive, Saffron with black interior

IMG-20200726-WA0000.jpg

Yes, there is a Mk1 PI lurking behind it and a '64 Mk1 as well.

Manual OD, ginger half cloth interior ( not currently fitted as quite fragile) 

Brought it from the Kings Lynn auctions a few weeks before the 2018 RBRR as we needed a working car urgently.

Is not quite as good as it looks in the photo, lots of little dents and scratches from being stored for many years.

• Like 1