Brake Master Cylinder

Sideways Tim

I've replaced my master cylinder due to the old one sucking in air and since fitting the new one the brakes are basically a bit crap. They work, but it takes a hell of a lot of pedal pressure to stop. Could  have a wrong un? I mean is there a difference between master cylinders that could cause this effect - bore or stoke or something?

Yes, they come in different bore sizes.  IIRC the Spitfire one would normally be 5/8" (0.625").  Fitting one with a larger bore (0.7 or 0.75" are the common alternatives) will give shorter pedal travel but need more pedal pressure.  The size is normally marked on the body somewhere.

Have you done anything else at the same time, like fitting different pads?  That can make a huge difference.

Nick

Obvious question  :P ....Did you bleed brakes afterwards...?

Does pumping the pedal once or twice give a better pedal...? if yes, then air in system most likely

Is your pedal rock hard from the start..? what pedal travel do you have.....little or lots...?

Are brakes free....no sticky pistons or shoes or seized or collapsed rubber flex hoses...? or nothing hindering the travel of either pedal or mechanism..?

Rest of the braking system is tip top. New hoses, newish pads, newish discs, new pistons and seals. It definitely stopped better before changing the master cylinder, but was proving impossible to bleed. Now the pedal feel is lovely and firm, but the actual stopping power is poor.

I did cook the pads on an alpine descent last year, would that have any bearing?

Quote:
I did cook the pads on an alpine descent last year, would that have any bearing?

Depends on the pads - they may have glazed and hardened.... What pads..?

MC could have wrong size (larger) seals in it - when i bought my GT6, many many moons ago, i had to really stand on the pedal to get any sort of braking (rather nervous 250 mile trip back with it) and it turned out wrong size seal kit had been put in....

Nick_Jones wrote:
Yes, they come in different bore sizes.  IIRC the Spitfire one would normally be 5/8" (0.625").  Fitting one with a larger bore (0.7 or 0.75" are the common alternatives) will give shorter pedal travel but need more pedal pressure.  The size is normally marked on the body somewhere.

Have you done anything else at the same time, like fitting different pads?  That can make a huge difference.

Nick

I`d go with Nick
There are a lot M/Cylinders around that are used on Land Rovers which I do believe are different in bore but look identical the Spits