brake master cylinder

SRF

I have nearly finished replacing all the brake parts on my mk1 2 litre vitesse.  The only part I haven't touched is the master cylinder.  Having gone so far I think it is probably wise to replace it.  I have little faith in rebuild kits having been let down in the past so a replacement unit seems the way to go.  I see that prices vary terrifically and some M/C are offered which don't seem to have the reservoir at the correct angle and some have see through plastic ones.  Has anyone got experience or can offer some advice please.  I am not after concours just smart and throughly sorted.

A few weeks ago I put new clutch and brake master's on the Herald I am restoring.  Did not notice till I went to fit them that the angle was different.  I called (Dave) and was told that the new ones come like that.  While I could get new ones with the correct angle they would cost a lot more and I should have no problem using the one's he sent me.  

To me they just look funny

Pete: I see you have a power brake boster, how did you mount it and did you have to cut anything?  I can't figure on my Herald where it will fit.  Keep in mine is a LHD.

Hi ,  Bill

the kit is loosly called universal, comes with a mounting bracket ,and no clues

the general position is to face it at 90deg to the master cylinders so the can fits next to the heater box and the cast cyl points over the clutch master.

I didnt know that when we hunted around  with a sort of  'Ok were the heck will this go'.

we  cut and reduced the battery tray width to suit the battery  and moved it closer to the outside, this left enough room to drop the mounting plate onto the baulkhead

if that makes any sense

Pete

Thanks:  I'll take another look on my bulkhead.  Since I use my red conv for rallys and endurance runs the more brakeing power the better.  The car does have the disk conversion on the ft.  I could not figure anywhere below the shelf that would not interfear with the bonnet.  Anyone have one on a Herald?  If so how much if any inprovement?

I have a Bendix booster on my Herald, and the brakes are as light as a modern car. No more getting to the first corner in the Herald, gently brushing the brakes and screaming as we barrel on regardless. And no getting back into a modern, getting to the first corner and stamping on the brake a la Herald. In that situation the scream traditionally comes from the driver behind me.

Thanks for the advice, I can fit 2 x 90 degree master cylinders and have change from the cost of 1 angled type.  2 of these seem to fit the bill.  I think by using 2 of the wrong angle won't be so noticeable, plus the clutch is a bit spongy as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390265232799&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNAFP:GB:1123#ht_16333wt_1029 type[url]

Archived