Stromberg carb / manifold identification

rotoflex

Thanks for the reference Steve!  Bookmarked/Favorited!

It makes things stranger, though.  I can't think of any 1971-1972 Chrysler that had dual Strombergs in the USA!

They look like 150 CDSE(V)'s, they are on what is a Stanpart Triumph 6 cylinder intake manifold.  But it's not a typical US GT6+/Mk3 manifold, as there is no boss on the manifold between the carbs for mounting the cable linkage for the accelerator.  Instead, there seems to be the remains of some kind of cable linkage for them at the rear of the left carb.  If it were some kind of Mk1 manifold, it wouldn't have CDSE carbs on it!  And the front carb still has the Stromberg wire & lead seal through the screw.

The intake manifold has numbers 308671 and V3153 cast in the top.  Does anyone recognize this?
The garden-variety USA GT6 intake manifold I have nearby has the numbers 311749 and V3235 cast in the top.

Here is the mystery item:

It looks like there has been both jiggery and pokery here.

The carbs looked like a longtime set in the box & in the ebay picture, but that first picture showed the differences.  Observe the fine, old world craftsmanship where the dashpot cover on the right carb goes on the body.  It looks like some pieces were just slapped together to sell on ebay.  The left carb has the slotted, threaded plug on the bottom, the right carb has the press-in plug.  The right carb is held to the manifold by those cable-ties.  The right carb looks like it has the vacuum-operated slave choke setup I've seen on pictures of some of the CDSE's from your side of the water.

Thank you ebay, another "I know nothing about these, I got them with a bunch of GT6 parts" seller goes on my excrement list.

It would be nice to know what the manifold is from, though.

Hillman Avengers under the Chrysler hat were exported to USA as twin carb 1500cc in the early 70's

so you have a cd150 and a cdse 150
the choke take off tube on the front one was a common fit to Triumph 6 pots and was used on cd and cdse specs.( with the short tube to connect the rich outlet to the rear carb,0
the rear  carb  you show looks if it has its own choke cable clamp so it did not come from a triumph   Vit /gt6  twin set up

twin carb avengers used 2 chokes and a siamesed twin choke cable

your manifold looks std MK1 2ltr to me

if that helps some confusion  Pete

peterhlewis wrote:
Hillman Avengers under the Chrysler hat were exported to USA as twin carb 1500cc in the early 70's

I did not know that!  Thanks for the info!  Holy cow, Wikipedia says that it was the Plymouth Cricket:

Looks fun in Cricket green:
http://media.motortopia.com/files/3536/vehicle/48c6ca9ae9288/The_Cricket_03.jpg

So if they were twin carb 1500cc's, it looks like that carb and 6 cyl manifold did not come from the same car.  Or at least the tag on that carb & the manifold are not from the same car.

Quote:
so you have a cd150 and a cdse 150

Since they both have the thermostatic and throttle bypass units attached, mustn't they both be CDSE's?  On the left one of the earliest CDSE's with the threaded plug in the bottom of the float bowl, & on the right one of the CDSE varieties with the choke takeoff tube.

Quote:
the choke take off tube on the front one was a common fit to Triumph 6 pots and was used on cd and cdse specs.( with the short tube to connect the rich outlet to the rear carb,0

This is the first Stromberg I have seen over here with the choke tube.  They seem to have used them more often over there, & apparently also on the Hillman Avenger sent over here.  It's a pity they are a mismatched pair & there is no carb for the front one's choke tube to connect to.

Quote:
the rear  carb  you show looks if it has its own choke cable clamp so it did not come from a triumph   Vit /gt6  twin set up
twin carb avengers used 2 chokes and a siamesed twin choke cable

I believe all the US GT6s with CDSE's starting with their introduction in the GT6 Mk2/+ used the twin choke cable (the US Mk3's all did). So the twin carb setups over there with the carbs that had choke tubes had the cable on the rear carb?  I don't see anything for a choke cable to pull on this front carb.  It looks like the carb itself may have been assembled from various pieces, including the choke cable clamp to make it look right.  

Quote:
your manifold looks std MK1 2ltr to me

It doesn't match the port spacing of an early GT6 Mk1 manifold gasket I have to hand, it seems to be the later port spacing.  It doesn't look like a TR6 manifold, maybe it is an early US GT6 Mk2/+ manifold.  Maybe the bracket attached to the manifold near the water union was the anchor for a LHD accelerator cable.

Quote:
if that helps some confusion

It does very much, thank you.  I'm trying hard to figure out what to do with this strange assortment.

I would think the rear carb is just a load of bits, the cdse was introduced to acheive better emissions and stop owners from medling with mixture settings by having the tamper proof top end adjusted ,
the some  newer body cds cdse    still has the threaded  jet holder in the main body, so you could fit the old CD bottom adjusting jet to a newer main body,  the hole in the float is identical apart from the press in blanking cap
so it has to be  a contrived hybrid  Like you say  body,float and tag are all a bit spurious  but  it could work !!!

Plymouth Cricket  thats a name I had forgot, built as a rebadged Hillman Avenger  in the Ryton plant  Coventry and later Linwood Scotland
both sites are now flattened and gone into history

and  i  bought one of the first Avengers as I workeed for the truck division at  Dunstable ( Commer-Dodge ) in 1970 only a single carb
1500 with  cds top adjuster but no temperature control.   it developed galloping scab in 600 miles  got reprayed twice under warranty
after 3 years reliable use it had to depart , it was tidied up with a vacuum cleaner sprayed more Aztec  gold and some one bought it on a dark rainy evening,, it went like scalded cat ,quiet and precise handling but the body being over phosphated must have gone to the tim worm heaven not long after     see what you have awakend from the dark side      regards   Pete

The Manifold looks like a Mk2 Vitesse type, the bracket on the far left is for the accelerator cable.

The part number will Identify it for sure, trouble is my parts book is hidden away up in the loft somewhere :(

Regards

Gary

I've just done a search on the Canley Classics site, 308671 is a GT6 Mk2 Stromberg Inlet Manifold, pretty sure its the same as the Mk2 Vitesse, although it didn't state Vitesse Mk2 on the Canley Site?

Regards

Gary

Archived