REAR LOWER WING REPAIR PANEL

Neilriser

Hi all,im just finishing a Bpost bottom rebuild,and about to replace the bottom lower wing i was going to make my own panel but replacements seem quite cheap but im concerned in getting this panel parrallel to the tub? is there any measurements from the swale line to where the sill will sit? door temporary fitted with new doorskin to give some reference buts gaps not good at moment so dont dont really want to align to it? any suggestions please.Many thanks Neil

Beware if you are going to replace the whole lower rear wing in its entirety.  None of the pattern wings fit correctly and even a NOS genuine factory original is no mean feat to fit correctly and successfully.  The problem is that the wing bows in the middle as a correct fitment from new and the pattern replacements are flat and it is very difficult to maintain the original bowed shape.  However, if you are replacing the flat section between the wheel arch and the door below the lower swage line then that is relatively simple.  Repair sections are cheap and can take in the wheel arch or just the flat bit.  I'd measure the other side and use that as a datum unless the other side is missing/rotten/smashed in!  No use using measurements from another car as they all vary colossally!  If all else fails just do it by eye.

Mark

Quoted from Mark Hammond
Beware if you are going to replace the whole lower rear wing in its entirety.  None of the pattern wings fit correctly and even a NOS genuine factory original is no mean feat to fit correctly and successfully.  The problem is that the wing bows in the middle as a correct fitment from new and the pattern replacements are flat and it is very difficult to maintain the original bowed shape.  

Mark

Not true!

There have been traditionally two manufacturers of Herald/ Vitesse rear wings.

One is as you say a flat profile, but our has always had the correct front to back curve.

We maintain a NOS Stanpart original example of every panel we press so that we can check the tooling from time to time for accuracy,

Having fitted more rear wings than most restorers in the past 30 odd years I do concur that it's not the easiest job having to cope with various degrees of 'tub spread', each Herald, or Vitesse being different to the last in that respect.

However because of the price difference other traders (with a few noticeable exceptions) usually opt for the cheaper version reducing turnover on ours, and making it less viable in the future. Not there fault as the retail market is still very much price led.

Temporarily fit the door and sill so you can fit the repair piece just right, the PO did the other side with the tub upside down and none of the lines were correct (the sill pointed upwards and the door wouldn't fit   )

i have just put new repair sections onto a Herald 948 convertible. I bought the lip repairs from Canleys and they were pretty good. Certainly better than the front arch sections from Rimmers. The metal on the Canley ones was the right thickness (19 Gauge, possibly?), but the Rimmer front ones were very hard to weld as they were like tin foil in comparison. The Canley panels seem pretty good for the price - as Dave said though, people aren't willing to spend big-money on our cars yet, so the quality of most parts reflects that.

I have a slightly rough but unmolested Vitesse, a rough but unmolested rear tub AND a complete NOS rear wing assembly, so I could get a good average of sizes. I found that all of them had a range of +/- 1/4 inch.

What I did to get the position of the arch repair right, was to refit the rear quarter valance and the sill panel, so I knew that if the edges lined up I was in the right ball park.

This was just a lip repair panel though, not a complete wing, nor was it just the infill panel between the door and the arch.

As has been said, each car is different...