Tyres 1978 Spitfire 1500

Savash Balman

Hi Everyone

My Spitfire is being renovated at the moment. Before it is too late should one upgrade brakes ignition seats etc or keep everything original in order to retain future value or not?

I will also need new tyres and is there one particular tyre that stands out more than others?

Thank you in advance

Savash

9 minutes ago, 20105 said:

Hi Everyone

My Spitfire is being renovated at the moment. Before it is too late should one upgrade brakes ignition seats etc or keep everything original in order to retain future value or not?

I will also need new tyres and is there one particular tyre that stands out more than others?

Thank you in advance

Savash

Modifications is entirely up to you. Things like electronic ignition with correct coil and bypassing the ballast wire at the same time along with maybe a Huco low pressure fuel pump are nice upgrades in order to improve reliability. Standard brakes are very good, standard interior is comfortable. 

In relation to tyres a good quality premium brand is always best, Goodyear, uniroyal, yokohama, etc. 

There is a variety of updates (rather than upgrades?) that seem acceptable, so as Tim says, electronic ignition, standard sized brakes but use good quality pads, electric fuel pump, quality suspension bushes etc. Much of this is because the so-called standard parts are now poor quality, but very cheap. 

Original seats are a good feature, so if you change them, keep the originals. 

As to tres, again Tim is on teh money. I find Toyo a good mid-range tyre, not far off Michelin/Goodyear etc. Falkens are very good too. And can't fault uniroyal.

Personally I can’t fault the Avon ZT brand, used them on most of my cars. I go by the data supplied with each tyre brand in relation to noise level, fuel economy and grip. You will find a lot of the premium brands fall well short when compared to other ‘not so expensive’ options so do your homework. I’ve always found the Avon tyres to last well and give good all round performance.

I got all 5 of mine replaced with Toyo NanoEnergy3s (155/80R13) in January this year. Fully fitted and balanced @ £235 for all 5. Only ran them a few times so far but seem decent and found they were the best for price vs performance I found that fit the Spitfire 1500 wheels. I think the next best was a Michelin or Goodyear but for £20 more each wheel with the same rating.

• 3 months later...
On 21/04/2021 at 10:40, TimW said:

Modifications is entirely up to you. Things like electronic ignition with correct coil and bypassing the ballast wire at the same time along with maybe a Huco low pressure fuel pump are nice upgrades in order to improve reliability. Standard brakes are very good, standard interior is comfortable. 

In relation to tyres a good quality premium brand is always best, Goodyear, uniroyal, yokohama, etc. 

Many Thanks and apologies for my response. kind regards

Savash