Rear Brakes adjuster

Andymoltu

Ever since I've had the car the handbrake has been pants which I gather is par for the course to an extent.

Shoes fine, wheel cylinders fine, new cables and now new levers.

However the cable is at it's max adjust.

Set the cable after removing cables and can hear the self adjusters ratcheting after backing off and stomping on the pedal.

Left puzzled as to why it is at the extreme of cable adjustment.

Been looking around and found a picture of the adjusters on the net which certainly differs from mine in that the lower adjuster (as in the posted image is the opposite way round to mine) Which way is correct? The shoes in mine have been on for years having been fitted by the previous owner to get it through the MOT.

Andy

I don't remember my Stag having any problems but I found that my 2500S, my TR7 and my Sprint (I think), which all have that style of adjuster, ALL had them fitted wrongly when I bought them. Unfortunately I don't remember which way they should be as I've not owned any of them for years.

I checked this in the Triumph workshop manual.  The lower section of the adjuster in the photo is the wrong way round.  You can see how, if it was turned round and fitted correctly, it wouldn't mask the hole in the shoe where the pull-off spring would attach.

Quoted from shenderson-

I checked this in the Triumph workshop manual.  The lower section of the adjuster in the photo is the wrong way round.  You can see how, if it was turned round and fitted correctly, it wouldn't mask the hole in the shoe where the pull-off spring would attach.

Great that's exactly what I was hoping to hear as it means mine is on right!

The workshop manuals don't show the orientation and all I've found on the net is a hazy "sketch" that shows the adjuster as a dotted line behind the shoe.

It was seeing the photo that made me question myself as I'm shure I looked a the shoes & adjusters in the past and came to the same conclusion as you did about the pull off spring.

Many thanks.

Andy

The thing that clinched it for me, on the various problem cars I had, was the teeth.

If you look closely at the contact surfaces of the two adjuster parts, you'll see they're serrated. This is the ratchet mechanism. If it looks like:

/| /| /|
   / |/ |/ |
   \ |\ |\ |
    \| \| \|

(both sets of teeth "pointing" the same way") then it's wrong. It needs to be:

/|  /|  /|
    //||//||//||
   |/ |/  |/  |

so that they're meshed with each other.

The workshop manuals don't show the orientation and all I've found on the net is a hazy "sketch" that shows the adjuster as a dotted line behind the shoe.

This might be waht you found on the net.  It's taken from the 2000/2.5 manual.  apart from narrower linings, it's the same set-up.