Three rail Gear Box woes.

Matt306

I have my four synchro 3 rail Gearbox took it to bits, fitted new mainshaft so as to add OD. It all fitted back together and OD engaged on 3 fourth wouldnt work, but that is down to my fitting of the cam activiating the switch.

The gear box was having second jump out when i lifted off yesterday. I needed a new master cylinder as the one i had was rubbish and the new seals didnt work, and then the ebay one was rubbish and the push rod was wrong length. Got a new one from fitchetts yesterday. 

To take the tunnel off i usually just put the box in fourth to easy it coming out. However i couldn't get the box out of fourth with out brute force. I bled the clutch through and a firm pedal press and still it wouldn't budge.

The clutch is new.

I have read varying diagnosis from worn bush kit, selector rods and synchromesh, just wondered what the forum thought?

well if its stationary it wont be anything to do with synchromesh or clutch so that leaves the most likely cause to be the operating linkage/selector rods. Best to take off the cover and remove the top l¡nkage casting (4 bolt fixing) then you should be able to get the box back into neutral by operating the selector rod directly. If this works then the problem is with the linkage probably because of worn bushes.

However as the gearbox has been apart theres always the chance that something has come adrift inside.......

yes that is a lot of play, something isnt right and Im sure an expert will be on here soon to tell you exactly whats happened.

I thought the rear bearing stays in the housing which you just gently tap backwards once its fixing bolts and the speedo drive have been removed....