Top up, top down, top up, top down...

Having spoken to several people, it seems that it is expected to drive the whole of the RBRR with the top down...

Now, is that really the case? Can I wimp out? Do we not get to collect our winners medals (etc) if we don't brave the elements... >:(

Can it be done?

My eyes go all watery for extended periods of motorway speeds... :'( can I get away with goggles? 8) or will I look like a twat? :-/ why didn't I buy a GT6? ??)

*starts getting excited about the RBRR*

Anyone got a spare pair of seats that I can borrow for the RBRR? ;D - ones that recline! Better still - can someone lend me a saloon?! ??)

James

James, yes you'll look a twat with goggles but any fool can be uncomfortable. You fo the RBRR how ever you like but do be prepared to get the mickey taken if you have the hood up and it's not raining  ;D
I would say do whatever you feel comfortable doing, the RBRR is no walk in the park and it's enough of a challenge in a Spit without making it unpleasant too.
Personally I'd have the top down for most of the way but would put it up at night or in rain and if my eyes watered, I'd get me some wrap round shades or driving glasses.
As for sleeping, what about one of those blow up pillow thingies you see people use on airplanes? Yes you;ll look a twat again but a rested twat is better than an exhausted and  dangerous twat!
We're doing this for fun, I'm going to enjou it  :D

I agree with Jason, it's great to drop the roof on the scenic bits in Scotland and the south west, bet it's also a lot more tiring driving topless, and getting enough sleep is important if you're going to complete the run safely. I temporarily fit a reclining spitfire seat in the passenger side for the run, and take a pair of earplugs, and a blanket and a pillow!
I know some people have gone top down all the way, call me a wimp but I wouldn't attempt it!

Keith

If you think about wearing something that will help but feel you might make yourself look a prat (note the more acceptable word) why not go the whole hog and play on it?

Fancy dress as Biggles perhaps with leather helmet, goggles and white scarf - this is supposed to be fun so why not entertain as well? ;D

Mind you, a well respected member of the club's committee did say recently "Well, we know Randle's mad" :o

Andy, Jason, Keith,

Well looks like I will be able to maintain my manly image after all *cough*

Andy - I may take you up on the seats - if they prove comfy after the 2000 miles (a good test methinks!) I may well make you an offer if they're up for sale! No headrests, no problem, my Mk3 seats don't have them! Do you have a photo?

Jason - Well I look like a fool most of the time anyway - so goggles may well be a good idea - plus it gives me an excuse to buy some - I've always wanted them! Can I get away with a leather flying helmet too? or is that pushing it? :D The trouble with shades is that I wear glasses - so they need to be prescription - anything wraparound is £££ Actually - not sure if I'll be able to find goggles to go over my glasses in that vintage flying style..,.

Keith - Scenic bits around Scotland - top down for sure! Blankets and pillows etc sound a good idea...

I have a plan of sponging a lift in a saloon between stops if the Spit gets too much (I might be cursing those 330 springs up front by the end) - when I'm resting - obviously co-driver Chris will drive my car... and vice-versa etc...

I think I'm worrying too much now!

James

Goggles it is then! Get yourself down to the biker's shop and pick out a nice pare of Vintage two pane goggles and you're sorted - or you could do like the kit car owner who was behind us in teh queue for Hants Pageant the other day - full face motorbike helmet and visor!

Tim,

I shall look my best of course, I've already been preparing what Im going to wear! Haven't really even started prepping the car!

I don't have a hard top for my Mk3 - well I do - but its one of those complex fast back types, and its green - and I do fancy a bit of top down when I can...

I plan on taking AJP up on his offer - my current ones dont have much padding - and I noticed recently in another Spit what a different that makes!

Doug,

Each Ace meeting I've attempted to get to - something seems to get in the way (except for the last one, where I just forgot) - and I doubt I'll get to this one either - however I'm going to Goodwood tomorrow - and last year they had places selling goggles etc... so I am going to have a look there...

Archived