Front brake upgrade

citroentim

So after the round Britain and a few moments of "cricky" these brakes are not very sharp but in reality there is nothing wrong with them being as they are all new, and I am just used to the modern brakes on the modern cars I work on every day. Anyway, me being me and can't leave things alone, I have decided to see if I can improve them without spending a fortune, changing the wheel sizes or modifying the hubs or carriers. After some internet trawling, I have purchased some Honda CRX vented discs, 1990 Civic Calipers and carriers from a Honda breaker locally and if they all fit, I will detail on here the fitting and part numbers. The discs are only slightly larger in diameter and readily available for around £20 a pair. Going to try to have a try tomorrow if the weather stays fine and SWMBO doesn't find me any jobs around the house

Wots the cc of the calipers!!
bigger than OE, then ye got problemo,s

so may well need a bigger MC
bigger MC will lead to a need for Biggg leg mucles
moderns ev big MC,s cos they got big servo,s

also, calipers, most likely wont match up t,caliper mounts

been there ages ago

M

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Barry. So far I have discovered that the Acclaim and later Civic models share the same caliper and master cylinder piston bore diameters and the front brake flexi hoses fit the Civic calipers. After a few false starts with the brake discs, I think I am there now. Will post up some more details when I have had a chance to drive the car.

Each to their own, but having driven a fair number of different Acclaims I always found the standard brakes perfectly adequate so long as they were working properly, and we live in a very hilly area. Master cylinder failures aside, the only ones we had trouble with were one that had some very soft aftermarket lining material up front - which did fade badly - and another that suffered with seized calipers until I tracked down seals and pistons and rebuilt the calipers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a larger vented disc upgrade sat in the corner of my garage awaiting frank to be finished, the exact numbers elude me at the moment but its mg rover parts bin, i think its mg zs 180 carryers and mg zs 140 calipers which are 54mm dia pistons insted of the acclaims 51, and i think 262mm disks. They dont fit standard wheels but might with a touch of grinding, and the pads i got that matched the calipers needed reliving for the hub, but i think i found some vauxhall corsa ones that shoukd fit straight in.