Oh. God. Help. Rear wheels/axle problem.

allende

Right,
I jacked the car up yesterday to scrape away some old underseal. That went OK. Lowered it back down- no odd noises or anything.
Went out this morning and noticed this:

I have kept the picture big to make it clear. The other side is the same. Now, even to my untrained eye thats not right!
I jacked it up on the chassis, at the bottom of the wheel arch. May have used an axle stand at the back while I jacked up the front, or vice versa. Can't remember which!
Is my Herald about to collapse? What the hell have I done? Is it a simple readjustment? Very worried.

Don't worry, this is completely normal and is due to the wonderfull and unique way that Herald rear suspension works. Just roll the car backwards and forwards a few times and it will settle back it's usual working position.
Welcome to the joys of Herald ownership!

Keith

:BThats a bit embrassing then !!:B
Thanks a lot guys.
God that was worrying- thought I'd bent the axle or something expensive and dangerous. Was too scared to move it in case it collapsed.
Thanks for the quick response- really appreciate it.

This is entirely normal as everyone says and don't be embarrassed, I recall taking my Herald to a quick fit tyre place to have some tyres put on, waiting in the reception area I was approached by the manager with spotty yoof tyre fitted cowering behind him "I'm sorry Sir, we appear to have damaged your car when we jacked it up - we will of course rectify any damage" Alarmed I went out to take a look, expecting it to have a trolley jack through the boot floor or some other horror - no, it was just like yours. I can fix that I said and reversed it out and parked it - much to the manager and yoof's amazement everything was at a normal angle again - I then bored them with the reasons and a Herald geometry lesson.

Jack it up again and you can watch it happen!! Bounce on the wing and it'll get somewhat less skew-wiff but as everyone else says it'll return entirely to 'normal' with a few yards of driving/braking.

It's actually quite a handy feature as it means you can get a grinder into the wheelarch without removing the wheel...............

Archived