Driveshaft Help Please.

Newbie Pilot

Hi Guys,

Hopefully one of you guys can help me out.

I am doing a re-chassis on a 1973 MKIV 1300 (Spit),  the rolling chassis I bought is from a 1500 (year unknown), and came with  all rear suspension and diff in situ except radius arms. The driveshafts on this chassis are of the longer variety whereas the ones on the old chassis are shorter.

In the past the car (old chassis), has had an overdrive gearbox fitted however this was not the case from new (as there is no wiring for this). I intend to keep the overdrive box. I doubt if propshaft was changed at same time as no record of this on reciept for gearbox replacement.

So with the above in mind, my question is which length of driveshaft should I fit ?
And what is it that governs the length ? Also will I need to change the propshaft for one of a different lenghth.

Many thanks in advance
Steve

I may have got this wrong but if a MkIII then the propshaft is the same length whether overdrive is fitted or not. The driveshafts of the 1500 are better than the shorter MkIII from a handling point of view but may cause some issues due to rubbing on the MkIII body. Someone may advise. You should be able to transfer the prop and gearbox across with the diff off the MkIII and then consider whether the longer or shorter driveshafts will suit.

Others may have different ideas or better knowledge than I. You will be aware of the differences with chassis at the front in terms of the bonnet hinge arrangements.

Best of luck, Neil

The MkIV & 1500 chassis are identical.
The length of the propshaft only depends on the gearbox you have, so keep the one that goes  with the gearbox you want to fit.
As Neil says the longer driveshafts are better for handling but make sure you fit the longer radius arms to go with them.
Charlie

The longer driveshafts will give you a wider track ( about 2" I think) . You may need to change the radius arms to longer ones and also the radius arm brackets which I think were a different angle. I may be wrong but I thought that overdrive propshafts on MKIV's were about an 1" shorter, like the 1500 overdrive props.

If sticking with the 3-rail gearbox, the difference in length between overdrive and non-overdrive gearboxes is about 3.25". A non-overdrive propshaft is 41.25" long, the overdrive type is 38". With the single rail (1500) gearbox, the diference is just 1", the propshafts being 38" and 37" long respectively.
Cheers,
Bill.

Note to self - read posts carefully before making a right t*t of oneself. Sorry I got it totally wrong. At least others actually read what you had posted and provided decent advice. I am now staring at my navel and wondering how fluff gets in there. Can't do any harm can it?!

Neil

Archived