cowman

After finally going through the trailer load of spares that came with my '69 mk1 pi, ive come across a spare diff.
The number stamped into it are "MG 34421".

Can someone tell from this number if its from another pi or another ratio from a mark 2?

There seems to be a mixture of mk1 and 2 spares like speedos, steering wheels, lights, indicator lenses etc.

Ive also found a spare head that seems to be a pi head (516 816) according to the NZ triumph owners website.
All help appreciated.
Thanks,
Glen.

Thanks guys.
So what are the main differences if any? Stronger?
T
he current diff seems fine apart from an oil leak from the front that dosent really bother me, but i should fix soon.(Long list of other jobs)

I will also check what numbers are on the current diff in the car.

The speedo is out by 10 KPH ( as in reads 110 and is actually 100kph) and im starting to wonder if the diff is not what it should be.

The original gearbox has been changed to a 4speed + OD from an "S" and the speedo is from a mk2, reads both MPH AND KPH.
Wheels are still original 13inch.

If you already have a 3.45 it will be effectively identical to the Mk2 version.

Watch the front seal... if the breather gets blocked you can lose all the oil and fry your diff in no time... keep a close eye on it and see how much it leaks.

Chris Witor sell the original leather seals which always are a little "moist" but shouldn't fail catastrophically (apparently modern rubber ones can)

They are cheap and are still made (for Westland helicopters apparently)

cowman wrote:
Thanks guys.
So what are the
The speedo is out by 10 KPH ( as in reads 110 and is actually 100kph) and im starting to wonder if the diff is not what it should be.

The original gearbox has been changed to a 4speed + OD from an "S" and the speedo is from a mk2, reads both MPH AND KPH.
Wheels are still original 13inch.

Might make a difference if the speedo is from a car with 14 inch wheels ... but then mine is also out by the same although the other way and it's the right diff. and wheels. At least yours errs on the cautious side!

Archived