Hi Guys, I have a 1300 spitfire on a 72 plate with ford 5 speed convertion. It seems pretty high geared how can I tell if I have a 3.7 or 3.9 diff is it stamped on the casing ? My speedo well under reads so cant go by that, It feels like it is going slightly faster than double the rev counter in 5th say 65 at 3000 RPM cheers Ben

Just jacked her up and made a few marks with tip ex measured the circumference of the UJ flange with a tape measure a bit of elementary maths and hey presto a 3.896 diff thanks guys it was running a standard one after all boy a 3.7 diff must be way over geared you would need a V8 to make it sporty :-)

Hi.
Sorry not to be too technical,suggest you borrow a GPS system and check the true speed of the car,this together with correct rpm readings will give all information you need.
Don't forget when working out information to take into account different sized tyres,and,when using GPS take readings on a straight level road for 100% accuracy.
as a matter of interest my MkIV on 165/70 R 13 tyres give the book readings for the standard 155 R 13 tyres,the speedo only being 1 mph out at 30/50/70 mph..
Thinking of speedometer accuracy I have driven Skodas for 9 years now,been very good cars indeed.On my first 2 the speedos were 1 mph under reading throughout the range,the same as a friend of mines VWs.no surprise I suppose as the same manufacturer using thesame components.However my new Skodas speedo is way out,reading 34mph at 30 mph and 70 mph at 66 mph,not an improvement,also a pain as the engine needs 98 octane fuel,doesn't half rev.though,good sports engine,maximum torque at 4,400 and maximum power at 6,000 rpm.
Despite all its electronic gadgets,traction,diff lock stability etc.,prefer the RWD gadget free Spitfire even if a little pedestrian.
Charles.

Archived