animator

Hi, I've fitted 1500 Spitfire engine in my Herald and now I have got round to upgrading the 4.11 diff to a 3.63, so I started to take off the old one, then realised that the flanges (for the half shafts) on the 3.63 diff are bigger. So what are my options? will the  spitfire halfshaft flanges fit on the Herald UJ's ?  are 1500 Spitfire halfshafts bigger as well? neede some ideas on the cheapest way to do this.

Hi, I've just completed this on my 13/60. 1500 engine, Spit Mk4 O/D 3 rail g/box and 3.63 diff. The main differences on these later diffs is the flanges, as you have discovered. The input flange needs to have a matching one on the prop. You will need to source a larger yoke flange for the prop and fit it together with a new U/J. The output shafts can be removed from the 3.63 and the original ones from the 4.11 diff are a straight swap. UNLESS you had an EARLY 4.11 diff, which had smaller/weaker output shafts. Just withdraw one of each, and if you are lucky, the splines will match.  Dead cheap so far!  You won't have to do anything to your half shafts but it will be worth- while checking your U/Js at the time.  Worst case scenario:- 1x prop flange. 2x output shafts. 3x U/Js..... Best case:- AS LITTLE AS POSS!!   Good luck, Mark.

This might sound silly but have you unbolted it from the rear spring?  I recently nearly forgot about that one!  If you're sure everything is undone then it might just need some levering where it mounts to the chassis at the back.

When attempting to get the rear lugs of the diff back into the chassis apertures, smear a bit of rubber grease (Don't use petroleum based grease)around the bushes-really helps.

Also use a good trolley jack to lift it up into place-I also use cable ties to secure the diff onto the jack-works for me-makes the job very simple!

Archived