Diff Part no 509703

alpinemauve

heraldcoupe wrote:

That's the primary difference between Mk1 and Mk2 diff mounting plates, no cups on the Mk1.

Cheers,
Bill.

oh - didn't know that - is there any other differences from a later "normal" 4.11? Using it in my mk 3 spitfire now!

JensH wrote:
oh - didn't know that - is there any other differences from a later "normal" 4.11? Using it in my mk 3 spitfire now!

The Mk1 diff uses shorter mounting rubbers to the Mk2, when used in it's intended application. The cups would have made location more positive, and I'm uncertain of the relative heights of the front mountings.

Cheers,
Bill.

JensH wrote:

The differential in the Mk3 Spitfire also had heavier-duty inner axles, although virtually nothing changed externally (still used the small flanges all around).

herald948 wrote:
The differential in the Mk3 Spitfire also had heavier-duty inner axles, although virtually nothing changed externally (still used the small flanges all around).

The earliest Mk3s had the thin shafts, there is a change point noted in the parts list. Not a good idea to rely on them though, they were upgraded for good reason....

Cheers,
Bill.

1337 wrote:

GA237600
GB57202
FC12000
(those are the diff numbers)

Don't know about the HB (Vit 1600)

C.
One source I found cites the change at Mk3 COMMISSION number FD22570. I think the number you quote above is missing a digit and should be FC120000, it being a differential serial number (series continued from the original Spitfire, hence the FC prefix).

Archived