Clutch sorted - but now a new problem!

Jimmy956

After digging all the pressure plate bolts floating around the bell housing out and setting it up with a new clutch and reasembling the gearbox to the engine. Quite pleased with myself as i managed to do it on my own.

I now find the car wont start! The ignition lights come on, and the engine will turn over but there doesnt seem to be anything coming from the coil. 12v on the plus side, 0v on the negative side with the ignition on. Also i remember the coil used to get warm when the ignition was left off for a while, but this isnt happening now.

My feeling is perhaps i have missed an earth wire somewhere when putting it all back the main one to the gearbox is on. Or perhaps I pulled something off taking the transmission tunnel off, but i'm not sure which wires i should be looking for, its quite a mess under there!

Shouldn't think any wires disconneted when doing the clutch would stop the car starting. Only ones under the tunnel would be reversing lights and o/d if fitted.
The main earth lead is the biggy but seeing as that's on and the engine turns over that's not your problem.

Suggest you do the basic ignition checks, disconnect the main ht lead from the dizzy cap and check to see if it sparks while the engine turns over.  If it does, reconnect and do the same at one of the plug leads. Careful how you hold these mind  (eek)

Yours
Mark

Also i remember the coil used to get warm when the ignition was left off for a while, but this isnt happening now.

sounds as though your coil was permanently live for it to get hot without the engine running and may have burnt out.i would check with a volt meter to be sure.

Archived