Neverendind story - Clutch

Chris_68

Hi

My problem is that clutch is not operating properly, if I place it in a gear and fully press the clutch pedal and rock the car it is in "gear".
After refurbishing master and slave clutch cylinder I only had to bleed the system...
I bled the system with slave in engine compartment and when pressing the the pedal it is stiff as a rock. I am not able to depress the slave cylinder to mount it so I have to open bleed screw, is this normal? So I am not 100% sure it is free of air but almost certain...
Is the pushrod in clutch supposed to be wobbly?
The car has not been used for several years but when placed into sleep there were no problem with clutch, can it be the clutch parts that rusted together? Next week I will try again with a vacuum pump to bleed the system but if it not helps is the only solution to change clutch?

Is there anything I missed to do or check?

Thank you for any input
Chris

Hi Pete

Thank you for feedback, sorry can you explain this:
""various ways of shifting like really agressive starts to  take of the gearbox"
Do you mean it is worth trying to throw in first gear,and try to release the plates?  Maybe I will do a engine rebuild this winter if problem not solved before I will change the clutch then.

Cheers
Chris

Hi,

Mine hadn't run in 15 years and I replaced the master and slave cylinder, bled it and had good feel but the same issue as you.

I solved it by starting the car in gear with clutch down, it moved forward a little but then released and the clutch now works fine.

Hope this helps, there are other approaches such as warming the engine right through, having the rear wheels jacked up starting the car and revving the engine with the clutch depressed - but I found starting it in gear much easier :)

Cheers,

Ross

Hi All,

As already suggested this sounds almost certainly like sticking clutch to me. I take my Spit off the road every winter, put it up on stands, and turn over the engine and press the clutch a couple of times every month. I can always guarentee though that the clutch will be stuck again by the spring.

The kindest way i have found of freeing it is to get someone to sit in the car with it in first gear and thier foot on the clutch pedal and then get a couple of beefy blokes to rock the car back and forth. Has always worked for me. You can use the starter in much the same way but its not very kind to it!!!!

Cheers

Tim.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived