clutch alignment...

Rumpith

You can use a long socket with a bit of masking tape wrapped around the end. One end to fit in to the engine, and one in to the clutch plate.

I forget what size - it's been a long time since I did it - I bought a clutch alignment tool for a few quid after that.

Presumably as long as it's approximately right, once the bellhousing is all bolted up it will centralise itself the first time the clutch is engaged with the engine turning? Or have I made an incoorect assumptuion there?

I used an old lapping  stick with the rubber sucker removed and turns of gaffer tape to the appropriate size. Wrap tape on the end so it is a snug fit in the flywheel spigot bearing and then turns of tape to suit the position and diameter of the clutch spline.  It should be centralised as if you dont get it right the box wont go back in and its a right pain to be trying to take the weight, line it up and slide it home.

Long bolts/stud bar in the top holes helps to take the weight.

Well, the extension bar from my mini scoket set gives a pretty good fit at both the flywheel and the clutch plate, and there must be a slight margin for error, so I'll see how well it fits when I mate-up the gearbox...

Hello Rumpith,

yes there is some margin, but the more accurate you can get it the better, especially if you are trying to fit a gearbox back with the engine still in the car. The clutch centring tools are not foolproof so I always eyeball it first before tightening the clutch fully. You are right in thinking that the centre plate will align itself when the clutch is first used.

Alec

lol, well.... I took the gearbox, with bellhousing and O/D still attached, and the clutch plate and cover down to Canley's on Thursday. The gearbox is toast, basically. selector forks badly worn, sychro's f***ed... Could have been caused by a clutch release issue, but difficult to tell what the actual cause is. However, Dave P was kind enough to strip it down there and then, and being an all-round good bloke is putting it all right for me. Big thumbs up as usual for Dave, thanks mate!

Yup. Clutch was lined up fine, but had a b**** of a job getting the 'box back in, despite jacking up engine, etc. Ended up unbolting the UJ at the gearbox end of driveshaft, which made it a lot easier. Got 3 bolts in the bellhousing, just the other 10 or so to do now!  hate those little bu**ers!

Archived