stellmac

Hi,
Can anyone tell me whether this 2500 steering wheel would fit my Toledo 1300. Apparently it is smaller than the traditional Triumph as it is designed for the 2500s or Stag. Just that I want to move my steering wheel up market a bit.
Any help appreciated.
Oh by the way put a 1.5" trumpet on the carb with a Pipercross sock, wow what a difference, richened the mixture about 4 flats and really gets up a goes now. Going to try the Vizard treatment next.
Cheers

Rossco

it begs the question - why would the bean counters at triumph make lots of different sized bosses/splines etc when one size could easily fit all? 

I reckon it should fit, be very interested to know either way.  I know dolly and toledo are interchangeable

;D

Well I dont know about ..."and as its only a ten minute job go for it" of Justyn's as I seem to recall someone else on this site struggling to install a new steering wheel.

Also there is the issue that you have all been too polite to mention of having "2500" plastered on the wheel of a 1300 Toledo, let alone how "Gertrude" the car might feel about it. (Very PC comment, snicker, snicker......)

Im not sure why you would put a 2000 wheel on a Sprint, sounds like sacrilege to me, Id rather have the Sprint on my Toledo!

Rossco

Yea, I used a small puller to get my Dolly wheel off, took all of about 20 seconds, then tapped the new one back on! Job done! ;D

(It certainly wasn't going anywhere without the puller as me and a series of increasingly hefty blokes found out ;D)

i've posted this many times on this forum, but steering wheels come of very easily if you use the right method: pull the steering wheel towards you, or if you only have two hands use your knees to put pressure on from behind, and with a hammer, tap a centre punch int the dimple in the centre of the column. the wheel will come off so unbelievably easy you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!!!

they don't always come off so easy though, I've taken quite a few off without trouble, but my 2000 one hadn't ever been off in 34 years virtually welded to the splines! Had to get a puller on it and even then it nearly broke the plastic off.

Thanks guys, I had thought of getting a puller from somewhere but the knees and centre punch sound intriging so will give it a go.

All I need to do now is win the auction on Saturday......stay tuned. (or should that be "stay in tune..")

By the way I want to add a rev counter so I guess one of the period Smiths ones would be a goer? Could I mount it on the existing dashboard with a nice routered hole or is that beyond the realms of possibility? Wiring should be straightforward too........?

I've had a wheel in my face removing it, and recently had the joys of a wheel in my groin while it was still connected to the column I was removing...

You're best removing the nut, then wind it back on a couple of turns before wellying the wheel from behind with your hands (which may hurt if you hit it hard enough). Then when it does break free it won't make a lunge for your nose :)

Yes a 2000 wheel will fit, as I know a Dolly wheel fits a 2000 (and if there's a Triumph or 2000 round pad for sale anywhere, I might be interested in a few weeks time, want shot ofthe Mountney I've got fitted currently, have a Dolomite wheel but no 2000 centre). This also means a Mini wheel will most likely fit, so a Metro one will too, and I thik therefore even a Moggy Minor one will!

I replaced my drab stock 1300 Dolly wheel for one that was all polished ally - lovely. My face/steering wheel interaction didn't hurt too much and I was back on solid food after a couple of weeks. Still, it's character forming ::)

Didn't really think about the 2000 wheel, hmmmmm, damn - another thing to buy.

Ken

I think the only difficulty is going down the pub in the evening, walking through the door, and everybody looks at the guy with the semi circular welt across his forehead, with the line down the middle, with this funny round dimple about chin level, with  what looks like the T of Triumph

With a look like that must be a great way to pull the birds, failing that at least getting free drinks as everyone must feel sorry for a guy with such an original but seemingly unbelievable story..................... ::) :D 8) :o

Just a quick update....I won the auction for the 2500s wheel on Saturday, there was only one other bidder and he folded his tent early in the piece. So all I need now is the wheel.

In the meantime I have spent more time buying yje 1'1/16 socket, extension bar and 1/2" drive than it actually took in getting the wheel off. Someone must have been there before me as there was a bit of grunt needed to loosen the nut, followed by a gentlle peice of persuasion, and off she came. No knees, pullers or whatever needed, and sorry to report no wheel in the nuts or face, fortunately.

I had more trouble getting the 2 screws out from the backside of the wheel that holds the centre piece over the wheel nut. They were rounded off and would not take a screw driver at all well. Found that an impact driver was the best way to get them moving, not hitting it just a bigger surface area to grip when trying to turn the bastards without rounding them off futher.

Now where's that wheel.....

see i told you so should have listened to me in the first place, only a ten minute job, i know everything. now where is that smug git over inflated ego smiley gone.
Good time to get the tracking done so you can have the new wheel straighter then straight.
(if the trackings out that is)
Justyn

[quote by=stellmac link=Blah.pl?b=dol,m=1141630459,s=0 date=1141630459]
Oh by the way put a 1.5" trumpet on the carb with a Pipercross sock, wow what a difference, richened the mixture about 4 flats and really gets up a goes now. Going to try the Vizard treatment next.
Cheers

Rossco[/quote]

Just A quick question, What motor is this on? a 1300? also where did you get the trumpet from? I'd like to try that on a 1500. Thanks

Hi Tig,
Sorry for the delay in the reply. Its a 1300 engine with a std 1.5" SU.  I'm a Kiwi so a bit hard for me to recommend a UK site but look at all the sites there like Rimmers, etc. Even Pipercross UK will prob have the Trumpets, usually 1.5" to 2.5".

You will need to buy a couple of short bolts of the right width, and about 1" in length, from memory, and put the bolts thru from the back side of the carb with the nuts on the trumpet side. You'll see why when you try to fit it.

The tuning I have done by guesswork, ran down the motorway, came off and adjusted one flat, then back on till the next off ramp. The 1300 revs better than the 1500 and I found with planting my foot it wanted to go well. I have not fitted a rev counter as yet, so that's another project.

I have also purchased a richer needle, not fitted as yet, and also want to do the Vizard treatment. Really good book if you dont have it , borrow or buy, as while it applies to Mini's most of it applies to Toledoes too.

I'm in the process of buying a 1500 as well.

Good Luck..... Cheers Rossco

Aye, any decent carb place, Minispares, Moss, all sell a variety of ram pipes.

Just google "HS4 rampipes / HS4 stubstacks / HS4 trumpets" and get a decent nice deep filter to fit over it (try to avoid socks)

Archived