MOT,no problem with the reversing lamp as I was told. however it failed on "Steering system has excessive free play detected at steering wheel"
Where the lower end of the intermediate shaft flexible couplng meets the pinion shaft. I have had a good look at the pinion and when the wheels are turned there is a movement up and down of a few mm, the movement is in the red box on photo.

What can be done, is it a new steering rack or can the pinion shaft be fixed, with shims or a new ball race. How much movement is acceptable? Thanks

I'd put my money on the flexible coupling. I know you say you have play up & down but the MOT man probably wouldn't notice that, it's the amount you can turn the steering wheel before the road wheels move (about 1/2"- 3/4"). Get somebody to rock the steering gently from side to side & watch the top & bottom halves of the flexi coupling.

Unfortunately he did notice it. He showed be on a Leyland repair operational manual the part that need fixing.I have been under the car today and when the wheel is turned the shaft does rise as per red box in pic.Should I get a second opinion

Just checked all the old receipts that came with the car. It had a steering uj joint in nov 03. I've also got a receipt for a strg rack rec from  Apr 01. Since then it has only done 7K miles.

stagfire wrote:
I can see movement in the pinion, so I'm not sure that will help ...

.... when the wheel is turned the shaft does rise as per red box in pic ...

Am I right in that the pinion moves up (out of the housing)?
If so the pinion lock nut might need some tightening  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived