Steering lock removal

thebrookster

Hi Guys, another question for you!!

(and by the end of this project a lot of questions for you all no doubt!!)

I am this evening picking up a dolly dprint that has been abandoned. I have already considered the possibility of seized brakes, and am going prepared for this. However the other problem I am trying to anticipate is the possibility of a steering lock.

As there are no keys for the motor, and I am assuming it has a steering lock, what is the easiest method to remove it? Will the lock come of easily?? And how do I go about it?

Cheers,

Phil

You need a sharp (thats important) chisel and a hammer. Take the plastic cowls off and use the chisel to knock th e"headless" bolts round. Alternatively get a dremel or evem a grinder in there and cut a slot in the bolt so you can use a screwdriver.

(BTW no luck so far with the hood handle, had a look in my "shiny" box in the garage. May get lucky though!)

You might find that if you remove the clamp bolt for teh column adjuster completely, then pull teh wheel hard towards you and downwards you can rotate the whole column.

disconnect all the electrics first or they knot round the column as you turn it.

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:
You might find that if you remove the clamp bolt for teh column adjuster completely, then pull teh wheel hard towards you and downwards you can rotate the whole column.

disconnect all the electrics first or they knot round the column as you turn it.

Cheers

Colin

That method works well put please be carefull when you pull the wheel forwards it need a hell of a pull sometimes, a steering wheel is harder than teeth.
On the other method I have used a junior hack saw to cut a groove in the shearbolts to use a screwdriver.

You can also disconect the steering joint at the rack end or drill the ignition lock out with a very small drill bit to 'grind' down the lock pins inside the lock this will allow you to use another key or screwdrievr to unlock the steering and turn the engine over.
And one last method, if you have another dolomite or indeed any BL car from the 70s that uses the same lock type another key may work if the barrel is worn enough.

Quick update, we now have the car back and parked in its new home for the next few months :)

As to removing the steering lock, we found a far easier method that that!!

Turns out four blokes can lift the back end and walk it round  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Archived