Lord Sorbington

Mine is a bit like this, and there is definately some play in the steering, way inside the limits for a rack and pinion car though.  The MOT tester spent quite a bit of time checking my steering over but didn't even mention it so unless yours is really bad I'd be tempted to stick it through the MOT and see what happens.

I think there are bushes which can be renewed but when a recon rack (manual) is only £42+ VAT I'd go for the replacement rack.

There is a bush in that end which can be DIY replaced if you are feeling energetic enough.  You can also monkey with the shimming in the inner ball joints and adjust the pinion float while you are at it.  Don't overdo the latter or the rack will go tight at the ends.

But as Sorbs says at 42 quid it is tempting to be lazy!

Nick

The question is for 42 quid would they bother changing the bush ?

They can be a bit of  a sod to replace... best to put a couple in to make a larger surface area... bit like the clutch cross shaft bush...

Originally there was a small nylon bush that located in a hole near this bush and was held in place by the action of the rack clamp.... it effectively damped the possible movement  ... it gets lost though  :-/

Keep us updated as mine is developing a bit of play. When I took mine for it's first MOT. the guy gave it an advisory for freeplay even though it didn't have any. I queried him and he said that it was where you mentioned with it jacked up and testing at the axle.

I'm getting a little play at the rack now so I'll have to check the shims first where the steering shaft goes in. If that doesn't help I may have to do the same as you.

The rack on my T2500 (power steering) has a little up/down play even though I rebuilt it 12,000 miles ago to quite tight limits.  My MoT tester this year pointed out the play but said it was acceptable on a Triumph because "that is how they were".

There is supposed to be a special tool for spreading the rack clamps and compressing the rubbers when refitting the rack.

I've never seen one and I had to botch something up using an old scissor jack and a couple of gudgeon pins.

If this isn't done you get a lot of lateral movement of the rack body - not good for steering precision or for passing the MoT.

An alternative is to use solid rack clamps as supplied by Chris Witor; I have no experience of them.

Steve

shenderson wrote:
An alternative is to use solid rack clamps as supplied by Chris Witor; I have no experience of them.

Gertie has these - we came unstuck when we changed the rack, as they allow the rack to be mounted in any position.  We were outside in the pouring rain on the morning of RBRR 2006 centring the rack, as we decided 1.5 turns to full left lock versus 3 to full right lock wasn't quite correct!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get as far as messing with the shims, the play on my car is in the lower steering column UJ. The symptoms are a small amount of free play at the wheel and knocking from the steering when driving over rough tracks etc.  I believe that I need to replace the lower steering shaft (non PAS) as the UJ is integral with this.  Am I right?  New ones actually cost more than a recon rack so will keep a look out for a good used one.

Once the slack in the UJ is taken up, there appears to be no lost motion in the rack.  I'm aware of slight play on one inner track rod end which I think can be shimmed but it wasn't enough to worry the MOT man.  Instead I'll focus my attention on the exhaust, propshaft, rear trailing arm bushes, starter motor, an odd noise which I think may be the diff nose piece bearing, etc etc etc..... ::)

Archived