Steering Column UJ

Greeks

I may be bonkers but am I right in thinking someone is producing an improved replacement steering column centre section (the bit with the stupid UJ that wears out). My perfect replacement has lasted all of two months and it seems silly to keep replacing them if there's something better around.

So is there one for PAS saloons or was it for a different model Triumph  ??)

Greeks, are you on about the UJ on its own or is there a shaft with a UJ built into one end?  Non PAS cars have both, I can't picture the PAS set up at present.

I think that Spitfire owners were using the 2000 UJ as it was better than the ones available for them.

I've got a new shaft with UJ to fit to the non PAS car, it doesn't look as sturdy as the original.  That said, Resto has one on his car and it seems OK, once we'd tightened it up properly that is.........

sorbs wrote:
I think that Spitfire owners were using the 2000 UJ as it was better than the ones available for them.

Not exactly, the original 2000 joint is too fat to give decent clearance on Heralds and Spitfires.
Can the non-PAS coupling be used in place of the rubber PAS type? I've not swapped and changed too much in 2000s, excuse my ignorance if there is an obvious reason why this won't work.....
Cheers,
Bill.

Dunno anything about the non-PAS or the Spits/Heralds, but my problem is the metal UJ at the bottom on the PAS column... I've fitted what seemed like a fine replacement bottom section, then 2 months later it's buggered!

ooooooh, it makes me Maaaaaaad!

Ha ... my turn to drink beer whilst you're all at work ;-)

I knew I'd heard something about Spitfire  / 2000 steering UJs but couldn't remember the details .  It's all the beer I drink.  A quick blast up the M6 now and then it's beer time for me too!

I'd have thought the usual suspects could supply new steering couplings which last more than a month or two.

Archived