2.9 Steering Rack

Andy Borris

Thought you have PAS......?

Anyway - I have a 7 tooth pinion in the standard non-PAS rack - not sure what that gives lock to lock but I reckon a fair bit more than 2.9 turns.  It's heavy when parking and at low speed but ok once moving.  That's on 185/65 15 tyres.

Also consider that PAS cars have different steering arms compared to non PAS cars.  Not quite sure what the differences are but I gather that a mismatch provides unwanted effects!  I have some non-PAS ones if you'd like to swap.  Could provide a loving home for your other PAS parts as well!

Cheers

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Thought you have PAS......?

Anyway - I have a 7 tooth pinion in the standard non-PAS rack - not sure what that gives lock to lock but I reckon a fair bit more than 2.9 turns.  It's heavy when parking and at low speed but ok once moving.  That's on 185/65 15 tyres.

Also consider that PAS cars have different steering arms compared to non PAS cars.  Not quite sure what the differences are but I gather that a mismatch provides unwanted effects!  I have some non-PAS ones if you'd like to swap.  Could provide a loving home for your other PAS parts as well!

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick

Power steering is off, never to return. They do have different steering arms, because the power steering rack is much thicker then the manual, the arms have more "drop", to compensate for the lower rack center.

Using the wrong arms will give increased bump steer, though not by much, I'd have thought.

The 2.9 ratio sounds that it'll be too heavy, even with roller top mounts!

Radders, get back to studying EFI! ;D. Meant to say, start with the sdsefi site, gives a good basic explain.

Andy

Archived