Power steering conversion

Nick Jones

Now accumulating parts to convert to PAS.....

Now have rack, pump, pump front bracket, X-member and most pipes (thanks Carl!)

Also the "new " engine has the correct front plate and I have a PAS pulley - though that'll need modifying to accept a trigger wheel.

So, list of parts still needed is

steering arms
track rod ends
rear pump bracket
special bottom rad hose arrangement
Belt
Lower column & rubber coupling (or Stag lower column?  Does that work?)

Have I missed anything out?  Anyone got any of the above gathering dust?

Cheers

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Also the "new " engine has the correct front plate and I have a PAS pulley - though that'll need modifying to accept a trigger wheel.

Not sure where your trigegr wheel is, but a PAS pulley is the same as a normal pulley, but with an additional bit pressed onto the front, rather than a solid casting.

Cheers

Colin

Nick

I found a lack of clearance between the rad and the PAS pulley, which is why I used that pressed tin trigger wheel. And the pulley wheel is made from a kind of cast metal that breaks easily and which doesn’t like a thread in it too!

I also think that because the trigger wheel (if fitted in front of the PAS pulley) is quite outboard of the the crank pulley and the damper, the trigger can get it's own inertia which causes the rubber in the damper to "wobble" and can give a slightly erratic signal,

Andy

mikew wrote:

Stag lower column certainly fits and takes the rubber joint away

mike

Thanks for that  :)  I'll keep an eye out for one - don't like those rubber things!

Colin,

The pulley I have is the sort that has a central boss to accept the viscous fan coupling.  I'm a bit foxed about what the bolt originally held it all together on the original car would have looked like though.  Academic in this case as that'll get machined down to a shallow spigot to centre a trigger wheel and the bolt will be the ordinary type.

Andy,

There is room for both pulleys and the trigger wheel but not, I suspect, the fixed fan as well (and no way a viscous fan).  I'd managed to get the single pulley and trigger wheel on with the original fan before so now I'm going have to go electric.  Law of unintended consequences kicking in again......  :-/

Cheers

Nick

mikew wrote:

Stag lower column certainly fits and takes the rubber joint away

mike

Thanks for that  :)  I'll keep an eye out for one - don't like those rubber things!

Colin,

The pulley I have is the sort that has a central boss to accept the viscous fan coupling.  I'm a bit foxed about what the bolt originally held it all together on the original car would have looked like though.  Academic in this case as that'll get machined down to a shallow spigot to centre a trigger wheel and the bolt will be the ordinary type.

Andy,

There is room for both pulleys and the trigger wheel but not, I suspect, the fixed fan as well (and no way a viscous fan).  I'd managed to get the single pulley and trigger wheel on with the original fan before so now I'm going have to go electric.  Law of unintended consequences kicking in again......  :-/

Cheers

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

Nick

I think I have a "pre-owned one" on the garage floor (needs a GOOD Clean) without noticeable play if you want it - I can take it to Stoneleigh for you - save throwing it in the bin, or if you pm me your address I'll stick it in the post

mike

Archived