Steering wheels

anthropoidape

Will any other steering wheel bolt onto a stag steering column? The original steering wheel in mine has been replaced with an aftermarket sports type steering wheel, which would be fine except that the adapting boss is so large that it positions the steering wheel a long way forward - can't even really operate the indicator stalk without removing a hand from the wheel.

Just wondering if I can grab one off a wrecked 2500 or something and bolt it on..? Anyone know?

I've got a Stag Mk1 steering wheel in my garage. It's not in fantastic condition, but a decent polish and clean and it would probably be ok. I keep meaning to stick it on ebay, along with some spitfire seats and a roll bar that I have knocking about.

I changed it for a sports wheel from Moto-Lita. The Stag wheel is way too large for me, I could hardly get my legs underneath it. Looked like something off a Massey Furgesson too, if you ask me.

I don't have any issues reaching the stalks with the moto-lita, but I suppose I do have large hands, which helps.

i have the  original on mine but i have a mountney wood stearing wheel in the garage which i have been intending to put on for over a year
her indoors bought me it for a christmas present
when i tried to put it on i could not find a socket big enough for the nut which holds the boss on does anybody know what size it is ?

[quote by=volospian link=Blah.pl?b=stag,m=1177895979,s=1 date=1177917596]I've got a Stag Mk1 steering wheel in my garage. [/quote]

Stag Mk1 wheel is 14" and was considered by many to be too big as it made the steering even lighter.
I have an Astrali wood wheel on mine. This uses the same boss as the Mountney and, as a result, the column controls are further away than with a Triumph wheel. I have got used to it now, and the improved feel of the wood wheel over the old leather far outweighs the inconvenience.
Dave

[quote by=taylormoran link=Blah.pl?b=stag,m=1177895979,s=5 date=1178007038]

Stag Mk1 wheel is 14" and was considered by many to be too big as it made the steering even lighter.[/quote]

Too big? It's bloody massive! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Following up... after a bit of fiddling I have discovered two things... firstly that the sole problem is the adapting boss I have, not the wheel - it's far deeper than it needs to be.

Secondly, the wheel I have is a Formuling brand, which means that the type of boss I need is not terribly common. Apparently it is the same pattern as a Moto Lita, which is also not that common here - all the common aftermarket wheels here have six bolts (not nine) and a smaller centre.

Anyway, I am making progess. I agree about the size of the wheel; I think I'd rather sort the boss out with this one than use a larger steering wheel.

Archived