Doug Paterson

Noticed a bit of free play around the straight ahead position on my Spitfire on the last few drives.

Suspecting either the universal joint affair near the rack or the rack itself I investigated - and the solution appears to have been as simple as tightening up the bold which clamps the joint onto the pinion which protudes from the rack.

Just in case ....... does anyone have any thoughts on whether tightening the bolt up is a good enough fix, or is this possible a sign of something worse to come?

My suspicion is that all is well, but I should keep a regular check on the tightness of the bolt - but as steering is as much a safety thing as brakes I'm inclined to err on the right side of caution.

Any thoughts?

If the clamp bolt is loose then this can certainly cause play.  The steering joints do often play up, the flexible joint has a rubber insert that wears and perishes. Some of the onescurrent steering joints avaiailable from the trade are pretty poor quality, I had one recently that lasted less than 2000 miles. You can get an uprated joint with a proper UJ in it, Rarebits do them for about 25 quid. I've got one fitted to mine (as below) and it's a much better solution.

sparky_spit wrote:
I take it that both bolts have the nyloc nuts still on them? Should have these as standard and therefore should not come undone. If it does work loose over time it'll be worth renewing both.

Good question - I don't believe it was a Nyloc Nut which I tightened up.

cook1e wrote:
If the clamp bolt is loose then this can certainly cause play.  The steering joints do often play up, the flexible joint has a rubber insert that wears and perishes. Some of the onescurrent steering joints avaiailable from the trade are pretty poor quality, I had one recently that lasted less than 2000 miles. You can get an uprated joint with a proper UJ in it, Rarebits do them for about 25 quid. I've got one fitted to mine (as below) and it's a much better solution.

Thanks Cookie.  The play was definitely between the clamp and the pinion.

Based on yours and Sparky's feedback I think I'll look at changing both the bolts and the joint.

Archived