ferny

The anti-roll bar on the Herald is knackered so I need a new one. Any idea where to get it? It's the same 1/2" as the Spitfire I/II/III. I tried one place but they said they no longer sell it. Another place want £66 for a kit and there's no way I'm paying that.

The rear drivers side is an inch higher than the passengers. It also has a fair amount of positive camber there. The front has a low side as well. Didn't think it was the anti-roll bar as it didn't look too bad when we replaced the front bushes so decided to take the rear spring out. From what we can tell it's fine. Obviously without putting it under load it's hard to fully tell but it looks in good nick.
Took the arb off yesterday to find there's around about and inch difference in either side. When laid flat the drivers side sticks up.

I replaced my front one with a late spit 1500 one the are a bit thicker and there must be plenty secondhand examples around........ never had a roll bar that was worn...

Talking about anti roll bars....has anyone ever fitted a rear anti roll bar to his herald (e.g. the ones the sell from Triumphtune etc.) I'm setting up my suspension for my rally Herald coupe and already fitted the spit 1500 bar at the front together with stiffer springs and Spax adjustables front and rear...what a transformation....corners and speedbumps no problem!
Just wondering if a rear roll bar would make a noticable difference?

[quote by=ferny link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1162830653,s=2 date=1162843272]
Took the arb off yesterday to find there's around about and inch difference in either side. When laid flat the drivers side sticks up.
[/quote]

There is an inbuilt twist to Herald ARBs, it was introduced in early production to compensate for an inbuilt lean detected on the first cars. Sorry, I don't have a copy of the service bulletin covering this. I have at least 15 secondhand Herald ARBs here, all exhibit the expected twist.
If your ARB rises on the drivers side when on the bench, that would make the drivers side of the car lower, not higher,
Cheers,
Bill.

Jack up each end in turn, the car should sit level with one or other end in the air, so eliminating the end on the ground as the source of the problem. Like you, I suspect the problem will be found at the front of the car. Nevertheless, nothing should be assumed. Does the car sit level with the ARB removed?
Triumph used a number of spacers in the suspension to compensate for a lean to one side or the other. Shims can be found under the inboard mounting for the front suspension tower. Uneven shimming of the lower wishbones can also result in a lean. There are also large spacers used between the spring/damper assembly, famously they are used on the lefthand side of the LHD GT6, where the driver and fuel tank sit on the same side.
At the back end the tierod shims can cause a lean if set unequally.
Cheers,
Bill.

When I can get the car level (tr6 is in the garage due to a dead overdrive right now and the drive is slopped) I'll go through it all one by one and discount everything. Starting from scratch. I'll swap the bar around afterwards as well and see if that makes any difference.

I never got a proper chance to measure it with the bar off. Which was silly. It was still low but the car hadn't been rolled or moved so wasn't properly settled.

Archived