Leaf spring or Rear Shocks?

all mod cons

Spring. Shocks do not normally affect ride height.
Could be an incorrect or worn spring. Replace it with a new or known good one. May be worth considering a rarebits courier spring if you want the car to handle better, or a canleys swing spring conversion, slightly more involve but not much.

A straightforward job, but allow a good few hours if not done before. Basically unbolt the ends of the spring from the rear upright, (you may need a springlifter, borrowed easily if you know triumph people, but it may be you don't need one! somebody sure to confirm one way or t'other)
Then under the rear seat there is a black access panel, under this six nuts and studs. These need undoing. Slide the spring out to one side, replace with new.
Car need to be up on axle stands, wheels removed etc.

Clive

cliftyhanger wrote:
...A straightforward job, but allow a good few hours if not done before. Basically unbolt the ends of the spring from the rear upright....
Just an observation here: be sure (once car is securely on stands, etc., etc.) to undo the bottom nut holding the shock to the rear upright BEFORE undoing the bolt through the spring eye, especially if you value the brake hose connection to the wheel cylinder. And how do I know this? Well.... ::)

G.in_Belgium wrote:
Mine looks like that when driven normally, but once I reverse into the garage it sits up like one of those silly American hot-rod jobbies ;D

Have you checked your wheel alignment? That suggests you have too much rear toe out.

Ok, thanks for the info and hints on how to change the spring. I may well have a go at this.
However, if some of you think this looks about right, I'll check on a few more cars first and move this down in priority on the (still quite long) job list!
Cheers,
Richard

I assumed it was causing problems....
If not lower is better. However if the car gets very low when loaded it is worth investigating. A saggy spring is not great, one that is set up to be low is!

CharlieB wrote:

Have you checked your wheel alignment? That suggests you have too much rear toe out.

Hah! NOTHING is aligned on my car! It was cobbled together by a blind man with no elbows, working entirely with the three smallest toes on his left foot.

twil be taken to bits come the autumn ;D

Doesn't take long to set the alignment either at your local tyre shop (needs to be 4 wheel alignment obviously) or at home with a couple of straight edges & a tape measure. Remember to put some weights (or bodies) on the seats when setting it up.
And make sure the nuts are not rusted solid before you start :)

True, but seen as how the car :
i) Handles OK (honest)
ii)needs a (total) rebuild
iii) will run out of MoT in October
iv) probably won't do 30000 miles in the next 6 months
v) has far more urgent matters to attend to

I may as well wait until the off season ;)

having just bremoved a swing spring from my Vit6 saloon the ride height wheel arch to floor was 21" and  camber -1.5  and now fitted one of Bills courier spec springs with a 1" lowering block I get 22" and +1 camber
theres no roll now but will have to play with the dampers    
incedently with a low ride height you may find you are always sitting on the bump stops inside the shocker top can, there was 3 in mine so I took 2 out
that was with the swinger on..   peter

Archived