Rear shock absorber

Sam Russell

I was driving the  other day and the Stag gave a lurch to the left and then started behaving like a pig on corners.  The rear shock absorber had snapped off the lower screw connector, and all the fluid came out.  Now the lower mounting are yellow poly bushes.  Could these harder bushes have put more stain on the shock causing it to snap?

The shock appears to be heathy, just the fluid is gone, the end snapped off. No I thought the extra stiffness of the poly bushes was enough to snap the end of the shock.  A rubber bush would have more latteral give.
The poly bush was installed some time ago.

I have seen that happen many times on the rear shocks on 2000/2.5, and Stags. More commonly it's the bottom thread part that breaks off. It dosn't seem to be a problem with any particular make of shock, but I have seen a fair few Koni Loadadjusters do it. Many years ago a customer of mine brought her PI in complaining about the knocking noise coming from the back, seems it had been like it for months. Sure enough broken shock, completely fubarred. If that wasn't bad enough she moaned when I explained that I wanted to change both the rears!  

We have Koni's on all our cars (NOT Loadadjusters!) apart from the Stag which had new old stock Armstrongs on it when we built it. Koni's seem to last indefinitely. I have no experience of other brands on 2000/2.5 because I never felt the need to change/replace those Koni's. Having wide experience of customers GT6/Vitesse/Herald/Spitfire, etc running on Spax I think I would be very wary of running them on the larger cars.

Do you think it is the poly bushes that increase the strain on the shock, the stag rear suspension has a lateral movement that I would think rubber might be more forgiving of, whereas the poly bushes are just short of welding. The bottom of the shock looks as if it was ripped out.  I was just joinng the motorway at speed when I felt the back twitch, and kick. After that the car was a pig on corners.  The shock is ok otherwise - but useless.  Two new ones ordered.  

This is a new one on me. Changed the shocks on mine 17 years ago to 'standard' shocks as supplied by Rimmers - no idea what make - because one was leaking. They lasted many years, surviving many miles with 4 up, towing a trailer with 1/2-tonne of chippings out of a quarry several times, and even taking the full weight of the rear n/side when that wheel/drum parted company with the car at 70mph. This resulted in the brake back plate hitting the road first and grinding away until the shock lower pin reached the road and started grinding a second groove in the tarmac. This shortened the pin down to the lock nut. I only replaced the rear shocks again about 3 years ago when I did a complete overhaul of front and rear suspensions. I bought Boge units from the local car parts outlet.
I have poly bushes all round, and have done for several years.
I will bow to 'canleyclassics' wide experience of this failure, but it is not something I am familiar with having been around Stags for 18 years
Dave

Sam_Russell wrote:
Do you think it is the poly bushes that increase the strain on the shock, the stag rear suspension has a lateral movement that I would think rubber might be more forgiving of, whereas the poly bushes are just short of welding. The bottom of the shock looks as if it was ripped out.  I was just joinng the motorway at speed when I felt the back twitch, and kick. After that the car was a pig on corners.  The shock is ok otherwise - but useless.  Two new ones ordered.  

No nothing to do with it at all. In fact I see it happening less these days than years ago P.P.B (Pre Poly Bush). I think it was more to do with age, and high mileage, leading to fatigue.

Archived