flywheel movement

nonotatall

Hi folks,

I posted last week with problems getting my gearbox out to change the clutch etc...  Well last weekend I put the new clutch on the flywheel and pinned in the new release bearing carrier etc... to the bellhousing.  I had some difficulty getting the gearbox back on and ran out of light before completing that.  I think it is merely a question of persistence but any tips would be appreciated (I used an alignment tool on the plates so they are in line, the problem is that you seem to have to put the gearbox in at a bit of an angle because of the propshaft.  However, it came out like that so it must go back in, I just think I need some more time.

What I am really writing about is something that worried me.  When I was removing the old clutch and placing the new one onto the flywheel I noticed that the flywheel could move back and forth (in the plane of the crankshaft) about 5mm or so.  This did not seem right to me as I expected that it should be pretty solidly attached.  Is it normal?

Does this mean I need to start saving for a new engine/rebuild? 

This will likely mean I have to sell/scrap the car as we are brassic at the mo, the other question I therefore have is how much would this cost?  and where is the best place to get it done at the most reasonable price?  (London or Somerset areas would be preferable)

Cheers

Tom

If the flywheel (or front pulley) can be shifted axially as far as you say, then the thrust bearings have probably dropped out.

Unfortunately, if the problem is not spotted almost immediately, the engine block and crank are probably scrap.

The good news, if there is good news is that 2nd hand running engines are cheaply and readilly available - Colin Wake, aka thescrapman has several in his garage he wants to get rid of.

I hate to say this, but the thrust washers dropping out can give symptoms which would suggest a failed clutch. You might get away with putting in new thrust washers, but it is highly likely that the block and crank are damaged beyond sensible repair.
I have a number of spare engines here (Wiltshire) if it's any help - what kind of Herald do you have? Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks (regretfully) for the replies.

OK, I thought this would be bad news,  I'm pretty sure the clutch problems stemmed from the dropped out pin in the bellhousing.  But now I've put it in and once I've got the box back on I suppose I might unearth the problems related to the thrust washers that would have been masked before.  We'll see.  Presumably if I can get the box back on it will at least go somewhere, eg. to be fixed.

Car is Herald 13/60, how much are you asking Bill?

How the hell do the washers drop out anyhow?  could it be due to the car being sat there with the gearbox out for a couple of weeks or might it have happened when I took the gearbox off?

Presumably the washers end up in the sump, surely I would have noticed some nasty noises with a loose crank?

Washers are 1/2 moon shaped, if they wear too far they can drop out of their recessinto the bottom of the sump, then the crank runs directly on the block, damaging both. Sorry!
But s/h engine should not be too expensive, got one for £30 but that was pretty cheap. £100 or so should buy a good one, but beware sellers who "got it with a project" or the old "belive it was rebuilt". Try to get one from somebody who had it running is a car, recently! Bill will be fine, do not to ask straight questions about condition, and expect straight answers!
Clive

Archived