Static timing for current fuels

KM

I have a Tr4a which I set the timing at 4 degrees BTDC as the static timing and then advance it slightly after a few drives. No science involved. Is there a recognised static timing advance for 99 or 97 (or even 95 when desperate) octane fuels? If not how should the correct timing be arrived at. My crank pulley has a nick to show TDC but nothing else in terms of angle marks.

Yes the optimum end result is that it pinks momentarily then stops. I set my Vitesse so that the pinking stops when I hit 2000rpm on the flat accelerating hard in 4th but essentially it's the same thing. Normally however you set the timing to the manual setting (this was for old 5 star) then retard timing until you get the correct amount of pinking described. There's no point advancing the timing beyond manual setting whatever pinking you get and don't forget weak fuel mixture or a worn dizzy can also influence pinking

Quoted from thescrapman-

Not sure what you mean Kevin. 

You should not end up with more advance than the original factory setting, unless something has been changed from standard.

Colin, I have a 4:2:1 exhaust but no other performance changes. Are you saying the timing should be retarded from the factory 4 degrees?