RobMoore606

I dont think my thermostat is working (hence im running a tad hot) did the boiling water test and saw no visible movement.
so I was wondering if it would be ok to drive without one, in theory no stat means nothing to stop the water circulating so should run much cooler.
Being my only car I need to use it to pop up to newcatsle and get another stat.

I suspect you'd be fine doing a single journey.

A few weeks after buying my Spitfire something prompted me to check the thermostat (I forget what) only to discover it was nowhere to be seen ((eek)). So I'd driven it for a while and god knows how long the previous owner had. Needless to say it was a lot happier with one in!

Agree with Chris.    Thermostat is merely for economy and quicker warm-up in cold weather.  But there needs to a small restrictor there to help the water pump with a small resistance to work against, and will not circulate the water as well without it.

If your old 'stat is U/s, cut the spring and remove all the gubbins in the middle, so that the flat ring and the arches that support said gubbins remain and refit it.  The gutted 'stat will supply the resistance and while your engine may take  bit longer to warm up, it will not over heat.

John

Archived