Thermostat and temps

GarthT

Was ordering a few bits and bobs from Canleys and I thought I'd get a new thermostat. I'd never had the old one out, but with it's reputation of previous bodging, I reckoned it might need one.

How right I was. I took the housing off and there was the thermostat sitting proudly with it guts cut out. Basically just a metal ring with a hole in. I wasn't at all surprised due to the amount of bad workmanship and bodges that I've found on this car since buying it.

I replaced the 'ring' with a middle of the road 82C one. The heater fires up really quickly now.

The questions are, in this weather, where do your temp gauges read on normal (non motorway) day to day running. Plus, is this what most of you have in? or do you change it for a 88C in winter and a 74C in the summer?

Can't really tell you about the performance of the stat in the Vitesse as it's not on the road yet. However my MGB has a standard stat in it and the temp gauge shows a tad over 70 on normal running and only very slightly more when the car is being used heavily. There shouldn't really be too much difference if the fan is doing its job properly. You could argue that the greater flow of air when driving faster helps to keep the temp down??
An article in the latest Practical Classic mag suggests that a 'hotter' stat should be used during the winter.

Incidentally Garth I've just ordered a lot of stuff from Rimmers. I know that they can be expensive sometimes but they're currently offering not to charge any VAT at all on orders over £50, until the end of January. If you need the stuff anyway that's quite a saving.

I hadn't seen that deal from Rimmers, and I do browse on there often, but it does look good.

I was checking out James Paddock's website the other day and they look pretty cheap for bits, in fact a lot cheaper then Canleys and Rimmers. Anyone got any comments about them?

The alternator conversion kit I was looking at was only £75 whereas a one from Rimmers was £100.

2204 wrote:
I was checking out James Paddock's website the other day and they look pretty cheap for bits, in fact a lot cheaper then Canleys and Rimmers. Anyone got any comments about them?

James Paddocks have great service - everything I've bought from them has arrived the next day (although I only live 30 miles away). They don't have as much stuff as Canleys or Rimmers but they're usually a bit cheaper.

2204 wrote:

The questions are, in this weather, where do your temp gauges read on normal (non motorway) day to day running. Plus, is this what most of you have in? or do you change it for a 88C in winter and a 74C in the summer?

I'm running an 88 in the GT6 at present, gauge sits around one third of the way across from the left, rising to just below half on idle after a fast run. It never goes above half ie pointing vertically.

Paddocks - not got a bad word to say about them. Don't think I've ever heard one either.

Gauge - they sit where they want to! All cars are slightly different but as long as it appears to be behaving properly then don't worry.

My 1970 MKII Vitesse has a small white dot (easy to miss) marked on the temperature dial a tiny fraction past the half way point. I have an 82c thermostat fitted and the temperature is steady. The needle on the dial sits exactly on the white dot and barely moves unless in heavy traffic when it moves a fraction above and then falls back to the white dot as soon as she's moving again. It doesn't drop below this point.
I assume that the white dot marks 82c
Rich  ;)

cheers for those comments folks, going to order some bits from Paddocks next month, good to hear they give good service. I was amazed at how cheap some of the stuff was compared to other dealers.

The temp gauge still hasn't gone over halfway, although it is still very cold round here, and if this represents roughly 80C, that's good enough for me. I don't have the mechanical fan on anymore, so that's not cooling it down, I have a electric manually switched one.

Rich, I will have a look for the little dot, cheers.

I've never had the heaters work so well and so quickly before. :)

Archived