Spitfire restoration update

James1500

hi all, been a while since I've posted but I've got a fair bit done on the spit so far, I'll hopefully start ordering parts/panels this week, the body is off now and you can see the full extent of the rust on the floor pans, the chassis looks ok apart from the out rigger behind the osf wheel, anyway, if your spitfire squimish, look away now   :P

Didn't really see the need to take off the bonnet at the moment due to lack of storage, but it'll be off soon. :P

The doors have been green at some stage but I don't know the full history of the car so it could have been anything ;D
Should hopefully squeeze a few nights' work in this week. 8)

James, a word of warning, you've maybe thought of this already, but if your changing sills, floor pans and the likes, I wouldn't recommend doing it with the body off the chassis.

Despite the braces, it's enough of a swine to keep it all square when it's bolted down to something solid, it'll be nearly impossible if you try to do it with the body off.

Probably what your planning to do anyway, just thought I'd say that it's best to bolt the body back on the chassis before you cut any metal out of it, and take it off again once it's structurally sound for the final tidy up.

I'm glad you've mentioned the above, I wouldn't have done it that way until now. I'll fit the new outrigger and put the body back on it to work on next, I've found a spitfire restoration book I've got to order, told you all I was a newbie! :D

thanks for the advice, I'll keep you updated

Archived