Need help..Herald wiring!

Moss Car Man

Hi,
I hope you folks can help me out...
I've made a new dash whilst getting my Herald 13/60 based Moss up & running, the car had loads of wiring "issues"! 🤔

I have main beam (inc. flash) switch using "purple-fuse-brown" live wire from solenoid & original blue/white to headlights (switch relay used).
Side lights switch using original brown/red as live & original wiring to sidelights (switch relay used).
Dip beam also using original brown/red as live, & new wiring to headlights (switch relay used).

Each headlight has new, separate earth points.

Main beam warning light on dash wired from output side of main beam switch to a good earth.
BUT...
For some reason I simply can not fathom, the main beam warning light also comes on when I switch the dip beam on...even though the two are not connected!

HELP!

Quoted from RobPearce
I'm having trouble following your description. Can you draw a wiring diagram of what you've done?

Ha ha! I'm not surprised Rob, I can't follow what I'm doing most of the time either! 😀

I'll try my best to draw & post a digram in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Andy.

Tempted to agree with Matt.

A couple of points come to mind:
  -  I don't see any mechanism to prevent both dip and main being on together
  -  Why is there a relay on the dip but not on the main?
  -  the main beam switch is drawn with dash light on one side and the blue/white on the other. Are these separate terminals?

Pay particular attention to the first of those points. I once had a Dolomite Sprint which some PO had re-wired to allow dip and main to be on together. The result was that the SHARED earth wire melted and burned out INSIDE THE BULB. This, in itself, would explain your symptoms.

Hi gents,
Thanks for the input..ref Rob's points:
Dip beam does indeed now stay on when main beam is switched on...I did not realise this would be a problem!  
No relay on main beam as there was a fuse in the OE wiring (& I am a numpty!)
The blue/white jumps across the two terminals of the main beam "flash/off/on" toggle switch.

When I looked at the original column switch I couldn't see that the dip necessarily went off when main beam was switched on. My error obviously, I wonder if there is a dashboard switch that would do the job?
Andy.

Hmm, interesting find in the MOT manual...chapter 1.7 Headlamps, Method Of Inspection part 4C..."on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986, the "tell-tale" illuminates when main beam is selected"...having a 1969 plate then my easiest option is to ditch the dash main beam tell-tale light!   I will rewire the switches so the dip goes off when the main beam is switched on to save possible overload.
Cheers. 🙂