helicopterdcr

Can anyone recommend some inertia front seatbelts that can be installed in my 13/60 convertible without major hassle? I'm not keen on doing a lot of work at the attachment points.
The originals are a bit worn and very fiddly to fasten... and if I have to have the seat well forward to make space in the back, almost impossible to do up (and I'm not at all lardy!). Cheers, Dave

I fitted Securon enertia reels BUT, you have to fit them the wrong way! ie the enertia reel is fitted to the cill (sp?) mounting point near the floor. Bit of a bugger to pull over the shoulder to fasten but is a lot neater and does not leave straps lying around to trip over when exiting the car.

Before fitting inertia belts in a Herald, go and try out a similar car which already has them. I have found every inertia seatbelt fitted to a Herald to be horribly uncomfortable. The low position of the upper mounting point means the belt is always tensioned downwards over my shoulder. A correctly adjusted static belt is much more comfortable.
Cheers,
Bill.

I'd be inclined to agree with Bill, I was very disappointed with my inertia reel seat belts I fitted mainly because as Bill suggests the low position of the top mounting. Also Canley classics supplied seatbelts with the locator bit on a rigid stalk that in no way could ever have fitted a vitesse / herald so check what you are getting!

Mowerman, do you find that there's too much tension over the shoulder as Bill and Gavin say? Do you find yourself tripping over the inertia reels on the sills (not sure how you spell this either!) or if they get in the way? Can you post photos of the fitment?

I've found Securon belts for sale at MGM Spares for 30 quid each. I don't know of any similar cars near Norwich for me to try out, although that is a good recommendation.

Anyone else tried fitting inertias to their Heralds?
Dave

I've inertias in my Vitesse convertible.  I guess they are securon ones and have an adjuster that lets them be mounted in almost any orientation.  I think they were decribed as being suitable for things like MGBs and TR6s. They are attached to the standard bolt position on the wheel arch via thick metal straps (came with them as far as I can remember) and come out through the standard slot in the trim.

They work fairly well.  I have two gripes; one being that they do sometimes tug on the shoulder and the other is that it works better on the drovers side as the shape of the assembly means that it sticks up further on the passenger side which slightly interferes with the hood frame when the hood is down, which sometimes jams the mechanism and annoys the passenger.  Been in 15 years tough, so not that irritating.

Nick

Hi Dave,

the tension on the shoulder seems bearable to me and mrs mowerman doesn`t complain they are too tight :) The kids were always tripping over the static belts when exiting the car, enertis reels are much neater. Afraid I cannot post photos as the car is away in storage at present :( Steve.

Steve, thanks for the info - sounds to me that with the inertia reel pulling on the lapstrap, the seatbelt isn't going to work as it's designed to do in a crash if the shoulder strap is a bit loose. I guess it needs to be a bit loose to prevent the shoulder tugging that Nick mentions. I think I will stick with the originals for the time being - maybe there's more to being trussed up like chickens when they are fastened properly. Cheers, Dave

Archived