GT6 MK3 Headlining help

RedRooster

I've just started to fit a new headlining to my 16 year old restoration & am having trouble getting all the wringles out, is there a knack to this? At the moment i've got it in situ with some clamps trying to get some shape into it.
Also how does the headling fit around the windscreen, is it glued to the bit where the two headling brackets are or is it taut there?
Any help or photos of installed headlinings would be great.

I've also got some bits of black vinyl which i don't have a clue where they go, i'll post a picture of them when i find the camera.

Quote:
I've just started to fit a new headlining to my 16 year old restoration & am having trouble getting all the wringles out, is there a knack to this? At the moment i've got it in situ with some clamps trying to get some shape into it.
Also how does the headling fit around the windscreen, is it glued to the bit where the two headling brackets are or is it taut there?
Any help or photos of installed headlinings would be great.

I've also got some bits of black vinyl which i don't have a clue where they go, i'll post a picture of them when i find the camera.

I need one of them, whered ya get it from and how much?!

Cant help you witht the installation, but i think the black bits go from your dash up the side of the window frame.
See attached image

Sorry it took so long RedRooster. I forgot to take my camera to work last night :B

Just popped into the garage to take some pics, my interior needs a little TLC but hope it helps.

If you need any pics or area's in more detail just let me know.

Excellent, thanks very much for taking the time.
If you have the camera handy a couple of pics of the foot well area & one of the tailgate lock bit would be good too.
I'm ordering the cards which go behind the vents & the tailgate trim as they have both been eaten by the garage monster.
cheers
Brad

Red Rooster

I recently fitted a new headliner to a Mk1 GT6, i think the windscreen fixing is totally different as i needed to install before the glass went in. As far as taking out the creases around the hoops, you have to cut the fabric tube back (where the steel springers fit) to allow the material to be pulled down to get rid of the rolls.

Getting it fitted to  the 2 sides at the back was pretty straightforward, you have to work a little at a time and pull it tight as you go, it's really helpful to do it on a warm day, i left the car in the sun for an hour with the headliner partially installed to heat it up nicely..

So in short i'd get the hoops in, fix it to the windscreen, then work backwards, once the side windows are done fit it to the top of the tailgate opening and then lastly the 2 rears qtr's.

That's the way i did it and it worked out great..

I think the Mk3 is similar, i need to get the headlining in before the windscreen. I've also had to remove the dash top as it was in the way during a trial fit of the windscreen rubber. Think its going to be a while before a hot sunny day though.

Instead of a hot summer day you could try a heater in the garage for an hour or 2....

I was a little afraid to do the job if the truth were to be told but it actually went better than expected, i had hundreds of the little plastic spring clamps you can get from discount tool stores and they made life a LOT easier as you could move along the seams very slowly, i also used some super strength headliner glue from a spray can and that worked well... Not sure what sort of glue you can get in the UK that is similar, here is a link to the stuff i used, not cheap but works wonders.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd56995

I'll see if i can find that glue, i tried 3 different brands before i found one that didn't react with the celulose paint, the one that didn't isn't that strong.
It will have to be some heater, its -3 degress here & the garage is an old barn!

242 wrote:
If you have the camera handy a couple of pics of the foot well area & one of the tailgate lock bit would be good too.

My footwells are such a mess that a pic of them would be of no help I'm afraid.

I'll get a pic of the tailgate lock area this afternoon.

Just a thought but if you anywhere near the coventery area tomorrow you could visit the International Triumph Show and Spares Day,

There will be lots of Triumphs there including quite a few GT6's.

I'm sure there are more than one or two who would let you take pics for reference :)

Archived