Bloody Starter Motor!!!

ian1905

Hi.

I'm fast approaching my wits end with my Spit's starter motor.

Having taken her to an auto electrician to find out why one day she just stopped working and repair the problem she ran fine but on his recommendation I replaced the starter solenoid and cable to the starter motor. After that the starter wouldn't operate (but on the plus side my side lights worked again).

So I whipped the starter out (mole grips are a god send) and replaced it with a nice shiny re-con one from Rimmer Bros....which doesn't work. (Not overly surprised as everyting I order from them seems to have a problem with it).

When I turn the key the solenoid clicks and I can hear the starter spinning away freely.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

4948 wrote:

When I turn the key the solenoid clicks and I can hear the starter spinning away freely.

Thanks

sounds like your starter motor actually does work!  It may not be meshing with your flywheel - did you refit the ally spacer that usually goes between the starter and backplate?  Compare the distance from backplate to flywheel with the "throw" of the starter pinion when you have the starter off.  If you didn't already know, the solonoid moves the pinion drive on the starter motor forward to engange it in the teeth on the flywheel - that is the "click".

If the motor spins/clicks but does not turn the engine, the either the cogs do not line up or the pinion is not clicking out to its drive position  

Just re-read and had a thought - my post above refers to a pre-engaged starter, I think the spits all had inertia starters - in which the solonoid is effectively just a high current switch for the rotational drive and the pinion gear is thrown outwards once spinning by centrifugal force into the flywheel teeth.

Sorry to confuse!  

Assuming your flywheel does not have any missing teeth, I reckon your alignment is out so that your gears are not meshing!

Mikeyb... You are my hero! Without wanting to sound like a total idiot, although I fear it is too late.

You are the first person to mention anything about a spacer. I checked with Haynes manual, internet, other forums, friends before I went on my rant earlier and there was never a mention of a spacer.

I couldn't find a spacing ring anywhere...so in my rage I hit the old starter with a rubber mallet and.....sure enough one spacing ring fell off.

So firstly a massive thanks to everyone who posted, especially Mikeyb. Secondly my sincere appologies to Rimmer bros (its now 1 return in 4.)

Now I'm going for a spin.

Thanks again

Archived