Electric Fuel Pumps

thebrookster

What do people reccomend??

I have had a Huco SU type pump fitted to the 2000 for the last 3 years (fitted by Mr Radders, the PO). However, having had all sorts of issues with this car, I have finally come to conclusion the pump is fucked, for want of a better term.

If I tap the pump it pumps, and it was working well enough when I was dialling the carbs in earlier (just rebuilt them). However under any kind of load it simply stops.

And to make matters worse, I attempted to open it up to see if I could find anything obvious, and I have buggered an o-ring up.

So, what are people using? Do I get another Huco, or is there a better model/brand??

Existing: Huco 133010.

Cheers,

Phil

Hello Steve,

"The car had a traditional electric SU in the engine bay but I found that I could not get bits for it."

That seems very surprising as S.U. devices in general are very well catered for as far as spares, even very old ones.

On a general note I cannot understand fitting an electric pump that also needs a pressure regulator, there are pumps around that deliver the correct pressure so fit that and forget a regulator? My personal choice would be an S.U. pump as I've had many years of experience with them and find them very reliable and with excellent spare part availability.

Alec

Quinton Hazell makes pumps that are available in various pressures and inlet-outlet combinations that one will probably fit.  Got one in my Stag, but I will say it is the second as the first burnt its circuit board after 8 or so years.
Just checked as I thought I heard they went bust - can't find much on the net about them anymore.

Julian

Yeah I think QH are gone now - mainly due to poor quality parts. I think they used to be okay, but went downhill in the last few years. I know I had a thermostat off them for my Herald and the first one didn't fit (turns out it was for an Audi) and the second one where the central pin was meant to be fixed hadn't been formed properly so when the thermostat opened it jammed. Good job I checked in the kettle first!

Cheers guys.

I think on balance I shall try a new Huco pump, on the grounds it worked the first time, and as of yet I don't know what killed it. Thinking it might have been the shit in the tank has caused it work overly hard?

Also, I am with Alec - I don't really want to have to fit a pump and regulator if I can get a pump to output the right pressure. Though what the right pressure is may be another question!

Cheers,

Phil

Quoted from StagNL
Quinton Hazell makes pumps that are available in various pressures and inlet-outlet combinations that one will probably fit.  Got one in my Stag, but I will say it is the second as the first burnt its circuit board after 8 or so years.
Just checked as I thought I heard they went bust - can't find much on the net about them anymore.

Julian

I think they were made by a German company called Hardi, they are ok but tend to kick out a bit more pressure than the SU pump and caused a bit of fuel overflow at first on my stag.
Mark