advice needed fitting electric fan

martin

i own a vitesse mk2. which i wish to fit an electric fan for 2 reasons
1 because my mechanical fan bust and went through a newly recored rad costing me £65 for another recore.
2 to save abit of fuel

i don't really want to buy a new fan kit as i have a few kicking around in the workshop so? do you fit it to a switch or a sender
do you put the sender in the thermostat housing or in a rad pipe?

how do you mount the fan to the rad?

lot of questions i know but.

Martin,

Been pondering this myself:

If you are getting the rad recored (again :() then get them to put a threaded boss in the rad to take a thermoswitch.  This can either be in the top tank, near the inlet (this takes a higher temperature switch) or in the bottom near the outlet (lower temperature switch).  There are a huge selection of switches available with different  switching temps and and fitting threads - talk to the rad  people!  On mine, this is the easy bit - the EFI ECU (Megasquirt) can be configured to do this with adjustable switch point - just add external relay.

What fan - I don't know.  I'm too mean to buy a Pacet or Clover one (thieving bandits - they are half the price in the States), but I've yet to find one slim enough to fit in the rather small gap available between engine and rad - so if you've got one that fits, what did it come from??

How to fit it.  Well, you see suggestions of poking bolts through the core and using washers with rubber pads.  I HATE that idea - especially on a new core!
I would make a frame that attaches to the rad side rails.

Nick

A few years ago I visited a local breakers who let me rummage through all their fans, and ended up with a juicy bosch one from a renault 5gt turbo, nice and thin blades and a chunky motor that fits nicely. It came with a mounting frame of approx 5mm thick wire, which once modified fitted to the rad surround with a couple of simple brackets. All for a fiver ;D. I switched mine with a kenlow thermostsic switch (from an autojumble) but will get round to a proper red fitted switch eventually!
Anyway, best bet take a few measurements and go looking! but do make sure it is a suck not a blow!
Cheers
Clive

Archived