electric fan positioning

LadyScrumpy

5458 wrote:
can we have a bit less discussion about my gender.

Not a breath ever again, I promise.

Carbs sound a likely possibility, but then so does everything else in the pipeline from the tank, so to speak. And the tank.  :-/
Is it using the original mechanical fuel pump, and do you have a fuel filter in the line to look at?

can't sleep so I might as well write something on here.

It has a facet electric pump, in the boot next to the tank.  It has a pressure regulator in the engine bay near the battery box, and then a cheap and cheerful clear plastic fuel filter next to that to look at.

The filter isn't mounted v well....the fuel can run back downhill toward the tank and I think it does.  The pump does keep the filter topped up though. SO i'm just not sure what to think.

When it conks out it won't start again for 15 minutes or so.  Vapour lock??

When it had conked out I did hear a bubbling sound in the tank.  highly suspicous!

if fuel wasn't getting through then it wouldn't fail to start again, it'd pump it back to the carbs and away we'd go. but no!  It just turns over and over but wont catch.   But leave it 15 minutes and it's fine.

its fuel gauge doesn't ever seem to want to get above 1/4 and I know the tank is nearly full.  The temp gauge has packed in too.  I thought it was the voltage stabiliser so I looked behind the dash and there's nothing plugged onto the voltage stabiliser...previous owner has bypassed it.  So I'm wondering whether the gauges have had a spike somehow and have had it??  They used to work...I saw them!

Hmph.
Humpy has been a bad boy today, he's sitting back in his box thinking about what he's done with a smacked bottom!

Abby

If it's been standing a while then maybe you're lucky and it's duff pipes/hoses or rubbish floating around. Waiting 15 mins might allow it to settle and the dirt drop away from the pick-up in the tank. Would be worth replacing the filter and ripping the old apart to inspect it. I don't think GT6's can suffer from the tank creating a vacuum, can they? Next time it happens take the cap off and listen for a hiss. I'd also take the pipe off going to the carbs and see if anything is getting through. Can you leave the engine running to try and replicate it whilst you're herding apples or something on the farm? Much more convenient than doing it in traffic. I guess the bubbling in the tank could be the return from the PRV because pipework further up is blocked? Or, has the car been used to smuggle hamsters in the past? You could be witnessing the demise of some forgotten fluffy things. Perhaps they're blocking the pipe in the tank and the bubbles are caused by another of the poor fellas expiring. Unless someone is going to tell me that's impossible/stupid and it's only ever gerbils which are transported that way. If you do find anything in there, smithy is the resident expert on rodents and spade polishing.

I didn't know the petrol tank had a breather pipe?

Where is it?

this problem didn't occur with the old mechanical fuel pump.  It just lacked power with the old pump.  Now it's got power when its running, but it loses power, conks out and well...there we have it.

Any recommendations as to the ideal fuel pressure on a gt6 with a gas flowed head and twin strombergs back on it (the dellorto's are on the bench again)

I'm contemplating taking the fuel filter and pressure regulator out of the equation and seeing if that helps.  I think the problem is essentially one of fuel delivery.  With an electric pump you're not supposed to get vapour locks.  Half the reason I installed it.

We have a tractor on the farm that had a similar problem, show it a slope and it couldn't climb it.  It just stalled and didn't want to re-start.
That was down to mucky fuel and blocked filters.  The filter in the engine bay I put in there is spotless so I don't think there's any muck coming through from the tank.  this makes me think its safe to take the filter out, after all, it didn't have one before.  Nor a pressure regulator, but I'm a bit concerned about over-supply of fuel to the carbs due to overpressurised fuel lines and then flooding them and we've got the same problem again.

All terribly frustrating because its a nice day, its a day for shorts and sports cars!

and mine's in the shed.

Hmph.

5458 wrote:
I didn't know the petrol tank had a breather pipe?

All tanks have a breather to allow air in as the petrol is removed. If its blocked you end up with a partial vacuum in the tank which fights the petrol pump.

When you leave it the air slowly seeps back into the tank through the blocked breather (or any other rout it can find).

I AM AMAZING.

I spent all day buggering around getting his fuel delivery right. and he still wouldn't start.
No spark, coil's ok, alternator is brand new, it was the rotor arm.  And I had a spare rotor arm, put that on and he fired up straight away!
I'm amazing.

I'll just say that again so that you can let it sink in.
I'm amazing.

Pause for it to sink in a bit more.

So hopefully the issues letting me down yesterday were a rotor arm and not fuel.

We'll see if he lets me down tomorrow.

Archived