scotty71

Admittedly, I've had perhaps more than my share of parts cars over the years; regardless, a brake drum is something I've almost never had to replace. On the rare occasion that I did have to replace, I would find a good used one from my stash. At worst, I might have to have the drum turned.

Where I live (in the USA), we have a really great local auto parts store. Granted, it caters more to American cars, but until sometime last year -- when their lathe broke and parts were no longer available to repair it -- they routinely turned drums and rotors. But most modern car drums and rotors are simply not worth turning; rather, they seem destined to be as much a throwaway item as the shoes or pads that rub on them! And it would appear that current aftermarket replacement drums and rotors for our cars are of about the same quality.

Quoted from Johnny
Just a thought while on the subject ... Is there a feasible rear disc brake conversion idea around  for Herald/Vitesse?

Yes. MGF discs will simply slide over the hub.
Then fit some brackets to the rear uprights, and fit MGF callipers. Or better some lighter aluminium ones. I know that with the MGF callipers the existing handbrake cable can be used (but requires a small extension piece, flat bar IIRC), but on mine I vent further and used shortened MGF cables as I have a rotoflex based rear where the length changes, not the case with solid driveshafts.

All very DIY but not difficult if you can chop metal plates and drill holes accurately etc.

However, it would probably need a valve to reduce the rear braking. Too much at the rear is VERY bad.