Mk3 spitfire front sill panels

phillip ridley

.... and also be aware that the reproduction inner sills are not quite correct, so when fitted to the floor panel at what you think is the correct height, you end up putting the strengthener at the wrong height, which leads to the outer sill being in the wrong place vertically.

There used to be a Nordic member on here some time ago (Vens? Hans? Vans?...) who posted a through-section diagram with measurements of how it should be. I can't find it now but someone may have a copy?

Quoted from thescrapman-

I have been told even the Heritage sills do not fit very well now.

I think it is that there is either not enough curvature in the panel perhaps, or may have been that the top is the wrong shape.

The problem with mine it hangs to low not touching the strengthening panel enough to weld or even look right 

Quoted from sparky_spit-

.... and also be aware that the reproduction inner sills are not quite correct, so when fitted to the floor panel at what you think is the correct height, you end up putting the strengthener at the wrong height, which leads to the outer sill being in the wrong place vertically.

There used to be a Nordic member on here some time ago (Vens? Hans? Vans?...) who posted a through-section diagram with measurements of how it should be. I can't find it now but someone may have a copy?

Thanks Michael I’m not sure what way to go with it I was going to buy another panel but from Fitchett as there rear wings are a good fit 

Don't be tempted to just pull/push the sill in and upwards with grips until it "fits" and then weld it on.  I did with mine and the result is not good; you get a large gap between the outside top of the sill surface and the door bottom. Mine's big enough to get your fingers in from underneath and the door fit is awful.

Quoted from phillip ridley-
Quoted from sparky_spit-

Thanks Michael I’m not sure what way to go with it I was going to buy another panel but from Fitchett as there rear wings are a good fit 

I know.....that`s why I sold them to you.....and still got the Fitchet sills! 

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-

Quoted from phillip ridley-

Quoted from sparky_spit-

I know.....that`s why I sold them to you.....and still got the Fitchet sills! 

Thanks Michael I had already ordered the panel I forgot you had these just received it today you can see the between this original and the one I’ve had originally going to try it now for fitment fingers crossed thanks phill 

• 3 weeks later...
Quoted from JensH-

@Michael - very close :-)

Just got my login fixed thanks to Keith.

/Jens - Denmark

Hi Jens - good to have you back here!

That diagram of yours is very useful indeed; it explained to me how I put my sills/inners/strengtheners on in the wrong place 10 years ago. They are still the same now but at least I know what I need to do when I finally get round to doing it properly. Thanks.