TR7/8 Brake Rotors/Calipers Q

csopelario

I am very new to TR7s, but chassis-wise, they are similar to the Toyotas I usually am around I have a 76 Toyota Celica liftback).

Me and my brother have finally gotten our father's coupe '76 tr7 (4cyl) up and running. We are looking into brakes. We have already ordered Brembo OEM rotors and EBC green stuff for the front setup and brand new rubber hoses (didnt have the $ for braided).

I have read a few of the posts here and noticed the Capri come up as an option... is this true? direct bolt on rotors or modification required? Can TR8 front disk rotors bolt up to the TR7 (4cyl) chassis - one in the same?

Becasue I have been with Toyotas for a couple of yrs now, I know about a few swappable items from other cars... Corolla AE86-GTS rear shocks/LSD are direct bolt ons with my Celica, front struts from an early 70s carina are direct bolt-ins (with spacers), etc.,... Is there cool swaps (and money saving tactics) I can use on the TR7's suspension, brakes, chassis stiffening?

Oh, I am in Northern CA, USA.

Thank you for the help

--Cat

Hi - there are a few options ranging from low to extremely high cost. They also range from simple to difficult ::)

Our very own TR7 guru (Ellis) has a web site with a projects section - follow this link http://www.triumphtr7.co.uk/projects.html

You can also buy complete kits from companies such as S&S preps in the UK who I use and are very good http://www.ss-preparations.co.uk/index_broadband.htm

There are a few companies in the USA whoa re reputedly very good too - Wedgeparts come to mind = http://www.wedgeparts.com/
Also try this link to the "World Wide Wedge" and their list of suppliers http://www.team.net/TR8/

Finally try this forum run by another Club Triumph member http://www.forum.triumphtr7.com/

There's something for you to be going at. :)

As it happens I am reserching brake options and will be at S&S tomorrow but I will be looking for a new set up in line with th car's rally homologation papers as I intend using the car in competition.

Good luck and enjoy your 7

TR8 rotors (disks here in the UK) can be fitted without modification.  They aren't much of an improvement on the original set-up though and are getting very rare, here at least.  The 2.8 Capri set-up is quite common as you can still get some nice disks for it (I had vented/grooved Tarox) and pads.  I believe spacers are needed to fit the Capri set-up but also bought mine as a kit from S&S.

Malcolm.

Thank you to both of you!

Qs: So the TR8 rotor fits - must the caliper change also? (Is the rotor any thicker than the 7?) Either way, can the TR8 claiper be easily adapted?

Capri 2.8 huh... I will look more into this.. I hope Shiping is reasonable  through S&S.

Thanks again!

--Cat

A relatively new development is the 'rotor' disc - these are not round (as such) they have s 'wavey' edge which allows the disc to cool quicker as they 'scoop' air.

They do, apparently, a disc to replace the OEM setup of the TR7.  Reports I have had (though not fitted to a TR7) have been encouraging and have generally been felt to give better stopping performance than groove and cross-drilled (or dimpled) discs.

May be worth investigating further - have a look at Rotor Discs

Quoted from TRishaTR A relatively new development is the 'rotor' disc - these are not round (as such) they have s 'wavey' edge which allows the disc to cool quicker as they 'scoop' air.

They do, apparently, a disc to replace the OEM setup of the TR7.  Reports I have had (though not fitted to a TR7) have been encouraging and have generally been felt to give better stopping performance than groove and cross-drilled (or dimpled) discs.

May be worth investigating further - have a look at Rotor Discs

Sweeet... But usually int he US, we call em Rotors and/or Disks. They are one int he same... but that company has them shaped (engineered) to a shape that looks very much like go-Kart and some motorcycle brake disks (or rotors)... Sweet info.

Thanks,

--Cat

I'll just pick up on this thread to ask a question of my own.

Paul/Ellis and anyone else who has experience of these set ups.

When you have fitted an S&S vented set up or TR8 brakes or one of the other options - have you found a need to fit an uprated master cylinder?

I've got the Capri 2.8 front brakes on mine (I happened to have a 2.8 Capri on the drive) so all I had off S&S were the adaptors.   Still running the standard master cylinder with no probs, I've also taken out the limiting valve to the rear brakes, but still running the std 5 spd 2.0 rear wheel cylinders.  Found this set up spot on, if a little tail happy on the loose, but that's how I like a car set up.  With time I'm planning on fitting a bias valve in the rear line to fine tune a bit (probably the same time the car gets a hydraulic hand brake too ;D ).  If I went to 4 pot calipers (capri are M16-2 pot) I'd probably fit a larger diameter master cyl otherwise pedal travel is likely to be a bit too long for my liking-that's one for the future though (he says remembering the 4 pots sat in the shed.. ;) ) anyway...

If anyone is thinking of an uprated master cylinder, the one to go for is from the LD Sherpa commercial - the long wheel base double wheeler, with the earlier 2 pipe output, as opposed to the later three pipe. Get it with the servo attatched, I'm told it's a bolt-on fit to the wedge, and significantly improves braking whilst lowering pedal effort.  This mod has been discussed - and recommended by those who have tried it - on the TR Register forum. I intend to give it a go - to suppliment my Capri discs and calipers - in the not too distant future.

Quoted from Raider I'll just pick up on this thread to ask a question of my own.

Paul/Ellis and anyone else who has experience of these set ups.

When you have fitted an S&S vented set up or TR8 brakes or one of the other options - have you found a need to fit an uprated master cylinder?

Mine is still running the original master cylinder and works fine. The vented Capri setup does require a hub adapter, but the calliper bolts straight on (just needs a different brake pipe to connect). I've heard a good upgrade of master cylinder is none other than one out of a Leyland Sherpa. No experience of this myself, but from what I've heard it can work wonders even with the original TR7 setup !!!  Might be worth a trip to the breakers !!!  Shows how long it took me to write that message holding Jamie - someone beat me to it !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been doing some research of my own.

Attached is some info I have been getting together - the dimensions for the TR7 and works brakes are from the original homologation papers so they can be taken as accurate.

What I find rather interesting is the MG and Rover group discs that are available from Mintex - they seem very close to the TR7 and rally specs. The disc for the 220 Coupe looks particularly interesting.

Anyone know if any of these are OK?

I have e-mailed a couple of companies for information so let's see what turns up.

Rimmer Brothers brake kit 2 seems favourite for me at the moment tho - a vented disc with TR8 (Ambassador) 4 pot calipers which are made by AP who made the works set up.

The Ambassador 4-pot set-up works well.  My competition V8 FHC has one (with a standard master cylinder) and it is a considerable improvement over the Capri brakes I had with the V8 DHC.  I can lock the front wheels much more easily  ;)

FYI.  Is isn't what the TR8 had as standard though.  That was still two pots and solid disks.

Malcolm.

That's the problem with buying a modified '7.  Though the last owner did the build himself (car was originally a standard 2L 4-speed) the receipts are only for the new items.  The 4 pots are BL Princess/Ambassdor and the disks are vented, but as to the exact type....??

Malcolm.

Steve is lucky enough to have the works set up already on his car as it was a preproduction genuine TR8 I believe.

Front runner for me at the moment is the Rimmer Brothers brake kit 2.

A vented disc with 4 pot calipers - not sure of the origins but probably Capri discs with Ambassador calipers. The kit is still available for £464 :o - exactly the same price as S&S vented EBC disc with a large 2 pot caliper.

I have been given a pair of struts with big brakes and calipers (TR8 possibly) by the guy who I bought the Sprint engine off but like you Tim - only new kit in this area for me. A second hand engine is fine, if it packs up I slow down - if second hand brakes fauil i don't slow down and that's not what I want! :o

I thought you were going to keep that quiet :(

If I am going to do this right though they will be the best I can get that will still fit inside a 13" wheel - oh, got my minilites on today ;)

A white TR7 FHc with cibies and minilites - it can't get much better ;D

Apart from getting rid of the sunroof and returning to an all metal roof - that's for next year though.

Archived