Hub to Rear Suspension Arm - 5 Bolts Enough?

Mj17

Kind of guessing the answer to this one but, you never know...

Can you get away with just 5 out of thr 6 bolts that hold the hub to the rear suspension arm?  Having replaced the bushes on the D/S with Superflex one of them just stripped it's thread.  I've tried to helicol it but now have a stud and a helicoil going round and round in the suspension arm.

Can you get away with 5?  Any other fixes or do I need a new suspension arm - and has anyone tried awapping a Superflex bush from one arm to another?

Strange you had problems with the helicoil, did you use the correct size drill?

I'd replace the trailing arm asap. Where are you, I've got one in the lock-up here.

The Super-flex bush should pop out again fine, take the sleeve out first!

I'm sure this is totally irresponsible ... but I drove a good few thousand miles with only 4 bolts on either side before getting the holes helicoiled. Not ideal, but absolutely no signs of problems. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but wouldn't be 'scared' into not driving the car in the meantime.
They aren't supposed to be torqued up that much I don't think - so it can't be that crucial.

... awaiting correction ;-D

When cornering it's the outer wheel that takes most of the load, which will pushes the hub against the s/t arm rather than pull on the six studs.

Not recommended, but you can probably get away with it for a bit.  Don't do any track days though...

Steve H

Greeks -  The low tightening torque isn't a sign that the studs are not "critical", which they are!   The torque is only 12-14 lbs/ft (per the Triumph workshop manual) and this was the 'industry standard' torque for 5.16" UNF studs/nuts.  Not much when you're leaning on the end of a ratchet spanner, but it's all that's needed.  This is where a torque wrench earns its keep.

Steve - "Cornering loads pushing the hub against the arm" is not something I'd rely on, especially if you will only "probably" get away with it for a bit.  Surely it's not a direct axial load on the arm anyway, it's a multi-directional twisting load.

As to the original question, if Triumph thought they could get away with fitting only five studs, that's what they would have done - they certainly weren't known for over-specifying!  With a stud missing, I'd do no more than very gentle driving if using the car is essential.

It might be possible to drill and tap the damaged hole to 3/8" UNC or UNF and then make up a 3/8-5/16 stepped stud to suit.  I can't give a firm opinion on this as I don't know without looking how much 'meat' there is around the hole.

Awful design, UNF into aluminium!  Should have been UNC unless into thread inserts.  What on earth was the designer thinking of?

Dizzy wrote:

Awful design, UNF into aluminium!  Should have been UNC unless into thread inserts.  What on earth was the designer thinking of?

It's been discussed before, it's a mistake that Triumph made a couple of times (front distance piece & rear oil seal holder) on the 4 & 6 pots. Probably they did not want to tool up for UNC!

Keep on the safe side, insurance bods would be all over you like a rash if this was discovered as it gives 'em just cause to disown anything resulting.........
If you can't get hold of another arm quickly, how about ally welding the arm and re-drilling etc...?
I personally would drive on it to go get the spare part, or strip it and get it done asap - as any failure would (knowing my luck!) probably be discovered in any accident investigation  ::)

thescrapman wrote:
Perhaps I hadn't better confess to doing the RBRR06 with only 5 on 1 side then.

Mmmmm

Colin

Bloody Ell!  Now you tell me!!!!

How about helicoiling it (do all 6 whilst you're at it, you'll never have those probs again!)

Not a bad idea about helicoiling all six, Mike.  However I've owned and maintained at least twelve of these big Triumphs over the past 40 years or so and have never had a problem with these studs.

They are poorly specified but if you treat them with care they work OK.  Just like me.

MikeyB wrote:

How about helicoiling it (do all 6 whilst you're at it, you'll never have those probs again!)

Trouble is he's already tried helicoiling and over-enlarged the hole.

Where in the country are you? I've definitely got a spare pair and I'm sure other forum members have as well.

Richard_B wrote:

Trouble is he's already tried helicoiling and over-enlarged the hole.

Where in the country are you? I've definitely got a spare pair and I'm sure other forum members have as well.

Wasn't too suprised when helicoiling failed really - when your drilling the old thread out (with correct sized drill) and all that comes out is powder...

Had to drop an exchange prop shaft to Chris Witor today anyway so just picked one up (d/s) while I was there.  

Now I'm just waiting for one to go when I relpace the passengers side drive shaft!

MikeyB wrote:

Bloody Ell!  Now you tell me!!!!

So probably best not mention there was only 4 on teh other side then?!?!!?

Only kidding!, it was 3.

;D

Colin

Archived