Rotoflex replacement or alternatives perhaps??

Freebird

Hi all

The Rotoflex couplings on my Vitesse need replacing. I have read many times that new ones vary in quality and can have a short life, also that conversions using FWD CV joints have been successfull.

What are the best rotoflexes to use? - Quinton Hazel spring to mind, but are they any good?

Does anyone have any details on CV joint conversions? I have access to good breakers yards and machining facilities, but need to know what parts to use and what to modify etc.

Cheers

Glen

Thanks to CJM for posting the link already.  Between my site and Joshes site and various threads on this forum most info is available.

Mine was the 'prototype' and is still working fine after approx 10K miles, Joshes MK 2 version is the way to go though. Although it involves more machining and will cost a little more initially, I reckon it is well worth it.

Nick

I've been looking at Josh's site and like what I see, but have a few questions if is around or if anyone else can help.

MGF rear hubs are used, these cars have discs on the back, do our drums fit straight on?

Is the wheel bolt pattern the same?

Also the photo of the hub entitled "MGF" has a taper roller bearing fitted to it - that can't be right can it? It uses a doulble row ball bearing, also shown, and you can't have both.

Are there any details of the upright machining? - eg: Position of the circlip groove from the flange face.

Could the circlip be substituted by a step in the bore? For example machine to 67mm diameter to a depth leaving the original, smaller bore to locate the bearing.

Yours inquisitively

Glen.

[quote by=SpitBang link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1155982967,s=13 date=1156104146]Glen,

The MGF bearing is a double row taper roller bearing, which can be broken into three pieces, one of which has remained on the hub you saw.

Steve[/quote]

If we are being pedantic (I am, sorry!) I think the MGF bearing is a double row, angular contact ball bearing pack.  These used by most cars today as they have lower rolling friction than taper rollers.  The result to the user is the same though - You fit it as one pre-assembled bearing - no more pratting around with shims - marvellous!

I see no reason why you cannot use a stepped bore and one circlip rather than two circlips.  In fact my Audi A6 has a step on the inside and no circlip at all, the reasoning presumably being that the step takes the cornering loads and the fit is enough to hold it in other conditions.  Certainly it was very tight in the housing - had to REALLY belt it to get it out!

Nick

Arrrgh - wrong again! And photographic evidence.  They must use both types.....

As far as the step in the bore goes, if you are removing one of these bearings it will be to renew it, so using the inner race to push it out won't matter.

Whichever route you like best I reckon

Nick

Archived