Rear spring Question

Richard B

For Alison's 13/60 Estate; as someone commented in another thread she has a 'saggy rear end' :)

Now we are looking at overhauling this area and have come up with two possibilities;

1) Rarebit's has a limited number of Courier Van remanufactured Springs.
2) Canley's do a 'Swing spring' conversion.

At present I am undecided which would be the best option for her car. This Estate has got 1500 driveshafts fitted. I do not want to start any 'slagging off' of products and I will ask the moderators to delete this thread if that happens.

I respect both Bill & Dave and would just like some constructive comments on which would be the best option for her 13/60 Estate. Jessica's 1200 has got the 'Swing Spring' fitted and I was impressed by the improvement in handling.

As it is an estate, and might have heavy stuff carried in the back, I think I'd go for the remanufactured Courier spring.

All the comments I've seen concerning the swing spring conversion all talk about not being able to carry much load in the car - although the handling is great.

Now if someone was to design a new heavy duty uprated swing spring.......

Both the Vitesse and the Sixfire have swing springs. The Vitesse one broke a while back, the floating top leaf snapped, looked like an original one not remanufactured. I replaced it with a repro one from Canleys. The car handles as well as a Vitesse roadcar should but I do notice that when loaded up it can be a bit close to the ground. I don't load it up more than once or twice a year so it doesn't really matter too much.
The Sixfire on the other hand was always arse in the air and twitchy until I put a lowering block in there, it could go lower but it's a nice compromise now - . It always feels very firm and is a different spring to the Vitesse one, no idea where it came from though.
For an Estate I'd say you're better off with a Courier spring than a swing spring.  

ditto.
On the KR post he mentioned a heavy duty swingspring. Would this work, or would it defeat the object of the swingspring. Maybe some leaf swapping?
Conversley, how about a stong fixed sping on the back of a spitfire, with a lowering block. The courier spring would be too strong, but a std herald one, low enough to give a bit of negative camber, long halfshafts.....
All ideas, but I hate being a guinea pig

cliftyhanger wrote:
On the KR post he mentioned a heavy duty swingspring. Would this work, or would it defeat the object of the swingspring.

Would work fine as long as the heavy duty leaves were in the upper swinging part of the spring.
cliftyhanger wrote:
how about a stong fixed sping on the back of a spitfire...... low enough to give a bit of negative camber

Think thats what Triumph did for LeMans?

cliftyhanger wrote:
So I should gather the 3 or so swingspings I have, and use lots of the longer leaves. It may just work.......

You'd have to make the central "box" bigger to add more leaves. Perhaps you could select all the thickest leaves although I imagine they're all the same unless you have a GT6 spring?

Umm theres a thought. I was thinking longer leaves had more strength than shorter ones. I think they do? from an ad hock approach if they were all short except the one with eyes it would be floppy, so the opposite should be true too. I think. Or add extra leaves under the box with the clamped leaf.....if you see what I mean.
Just ideas at the moment.

Archived